DL 1000 Running Issues!!!! - Page 30 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL1000 - 2002-2012

DL1000 - 2002-2012 For those bikes with two pipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2012, 11:17 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by steevestrom View Post
Nothing was mentioned about throttle cable adjustment? Not sure I see that in the manual. Is this something thats going to break or what? Does it effect the running or is it a tight loose thing?
The procedure is in the owners manual, and yes it is something that needs to be checked/adjusted periodically. Nothing should break, but having correct tension for open/closed throttle does make a difference. You should not have excessive slop "play" on the throttle tube, read the manual and it will make more sense to you. Take it to Iron Pony Powersports if you want more competent techs working on your bike.......my 2 cents. Otherwise, there are many things you can do yourself.

2006 SV650 2006 DL1000 "HODOR"

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2012, 12:37 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
correct tension for open/closed throttle does make a difference. ... ... read the manual and it will make more sense to you:
difference in what? reading manual makes more sense than you do, that for sure. lol..
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-11-2012, 10:45 AM

I see you did the 16-43 gearing I think it the best gearing for bike can run high gear now instead of 5th most the time
Old 11-06-2012, 09:26 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Likely you have clutch chudder. There are a DIY fix, or after market referbishes available. Look it up.

Before you do, adjust your secondaries in your throttle bodies (or remove them), & then do or have a Throttle Body syncronization done......must do's !!! I did mine, & the already smooth engine is that much better !!! 100 km hr in 6 gear....hardly above idle...LOL
Old 11-10-2012, 08:48 PM
Stromthusiast!

I've been looking hard at the vee .. but all of the problems are definitely worrisome. Does anybody ever just buy one and it works as intended or do they all require significant adjustments to make them run correctly; and in order to make them run correctly the best you can get is 39 mpg??

For all of the 650 vs 1000 back and forth, I've not seen where the 650 is such a problem waiting to happen.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:30 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyv View Post
I've been looking hard at the vee .. but all of the problems are definitely worrisome. Does anybody ever just buy one and it works as intended or do they all require significant adjustments to make them run correctly; and in order to make them run correctly the best you can get is 39 mpg??
the adjustments were in me. iow's, it took me a while to get used to the DL1 long legs, especially the 6th. gear OverDrive. once i did, most of the problems just simply went away. btw, i'm averaging 46 mpg. see fuelly link.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:38 AM
Stromthusiast!

The only adjustment mine needed when I got it, used with about 6k miles, was to set the idle properly - very simple - that stopped the stalling problem completely. Also, not really an adjustment, but one of the throttle body boots was not seated. Once that was taken care of the rough ride at low revs went away. Still, as JR and many have said, the bike likes to run at higher revs and that may take some getting used to, but I don't have any problems rolling through 25 mph zones in 2nd gear since I clamped down the TB boot.

I get low 40's gas mileage. Not sure what's considered to be good mileage in a liter size bike...
Old 11-12-2012, 01:30 AM
Stromthusiast!

Default Smoother at low RPMs

Does this allow the vstrom to run smoothly at lower rpms?

Ivan's Performance Products
Old 11-12-2012, 09:12 AM
Stromthusiast!

like most bikes, the V has issues, none of which should be deal breakers. stalling is sparate from rough spots and is cured by properly setting the idle speed. clutch chudder is annoying but has never resulted in clutch failure to anyone's knowledge.

buy it. ride it. love it.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:34 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyv View Post
Does this allow the vstrom to run smoothly at lower rpms?

Ivan's Performance Products
It is more responsive best I can tell.
PC-V, TRE, CR8EIX , ECM, K&N, RDL, PR4, PC-8, EB H4, WERKS, Madstad 22", 17/43 gearing, AdventureTech: Fork brace, shelf, mirror extenders, SpeedoDRD, wheel spacer, Head's-Up voltage monitor, Goldwing pegs, Sonic 1.1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.