What are the symptoms of throttle bodies being out of synch? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums  

Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL1000 - 2002-2012

DL1000 - 2002-2012 For those bikes with two pipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2007, 01:12 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Default What are the symptoms of throttle bodies being out of synch?

Hi all!

What are the symptoms of throttle bodies being out of synch?

I'm looking more than the obligatory "the engine runs like crap" as a diagnosis. Are there definite things to look for (like surging idle? ie. idle varies between 1100 and 11300 RPM)

I'm trying to determine if TBS is something I really need to do right now on a bike with 1100 miles on it, given the gads and gads of spare time on my hands. (/sarcasm)

I appreciate the info!
Brian
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2007, 01:21 PM
Stromthusiast!

there are no specific symptoms, TBS is normal routine maintenance that should be done every 7500 miles whether you think you need it or not

mine has been done at 600 mile service, 7500 mile service and 15,000 mile service, each time it was out a little do I specifily sense anything running bad or out of ordinary when I have service done, no but when I pick it up, it starts noticably better, throttle response is noticably better and smoother
99 SV650 (135,006 miles)
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
[URL="www.gbhsurvey.com"]www.gbhsurvey.com[/URL]
[IMG]http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp352/xv920r/VisitedStatesMap.jpg[/IMG]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-19-2007, 01:35 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I purchased my bike with 1200 miles ran like crap between 3000-4000 rpm at low throttle position, would cut out and backfire and buck and just be a PIA trying to say maintain 40mph at those rpm ranges -

It had the wrong PCIII loaded so I changed PC maps and it helped tremendously, then at about 2k miles I looked at the TBS and found it way out - so I sync'd it (removed seondary b-flies which was probably not necessary) and went to a zeroed-out PCIII map - basically it is running on the zuki settings and it runs perfectly at all rpms - I would do the TBS at least check it that doesn't take but a few minutes look at it and only a bit more to reset it.

05 DL-1000 - A farkling project in the making....

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. George Washington
Old 10-19-2007, 04:59 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

"What are the symptoms of throttle bodies being out of synch?"

Increased vibration - TBS balances the power output of the cylinders (vacuum level is an indication of power output - less vacuum means that throttle plate is open further, and the cylinder is working harder relative to the other cylinder).
Old 10-19-2007, 07:18 PM
No longer riding.

If you don't know if it has been done before, then it IS time to do one. Once the extention tubes are installed, it takes 5 minutes. 4 minutes to warm the bike and 1 minute to install the guage and start the bike. Look at the fluid level and if out, adjust, if ok then shut off bike, disconnect tubes and install plugs.
I found that on my bike when new till after full break-in, the TBS was out several times. Now that the bike has a few miles, it stays adjusted longer.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:03 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Ok, here are a few symptoms that you will find when you are due for a throttle body synch.

1) - Increased vibration at all rpm. It is hard to pick up at idle, you'll certainly notice it at the smooth spot (DL1000) between 4 - 5.5k rpm. At 4.5k the 1000 should be damn near smooth as glass with no vibration at all from the engine, if you feel any it's time. It will also feel very rough on acceleration, to me it sort of sounds like a growling dog. The engine gets a kind of GRRRR sound and feel to it. I know this is quite subjective but that's what comes to my mind. Also a day long trip will start causing numbness in the hands by rides end. 90 degree twins are balanced, when out of tune they induce vibration.

2) - Backfiring through the boots. I've never had to resort to installing a Power Commander or doing the Yosh thing since I don't keep the revs low (ask Heavy and V-Tom...WooHoo). I rarely get a backfire through the boots around 3.5k rpm now but when the throttle bodies go out of sync it is much more common. If you know what I'm describing you know the sound, if you haven't heard it it sounds like a BBQ that has had a bit too much propane before hitting the igniter. This only happens at the lean spot, usually putt-putting along and much more prevalent when going uphill or when the bike is laden with luggage and female ballast.

3) - Idle decrease. The idle will decrease over time as the throttle bodies go farther out of sync. Some dummies (yours truly) compensated by turning the idle up a tad. Do that a few times and see what happens when you do a TBS. Your bike will idle fine when cold then will not drop below 2500 rpm when hot. What you have done by doing the TBS is brought the bike back in tune and the idle speed drops, but since you have turned it up you are way too high and the bike now sticks in high idle.

'07 KLX250S - Road
'00 CBR600F4 - Track

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page" - St. Augustine

Last edited by The Shepherd; 10-19-2007 at 08:05 PM.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:30 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Does anyone know if it also affects fuel consumption? No matter what I do I cannot seem to get over 35mpg.
03/Sportster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement