PCIII questions and concerns!!!! - Page 22 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL1000 - 2002-2012

DL1000 - 2002-2012 For those bikes with two pipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 12:25 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmackd1 View Post
I would think all that would be ok since the bike is barand new though....

You would think that it would be done right but I wouldn't count on it, and besides you have evidence that it isn't running balanced. Adjusting the air balance between the two cylinders can have a profound impact on the idle.

I've never seen my PC have any real impact on how well my bike idled. Sure you can make it lean or rich but really changing the quality of idle was never noticed. My bike was used when I got it and I went through the adjustments and it idled great afterward and it has never been an issue since.

I notice the new EX PC's they now sell for the Vee look worthless to me. It looks like they no longer allow you adjust the fuel/air ratio from idle to 4K rpm and form idle to 20% throttle. This must be the great work of the EPA getting on them. I now see one agency that they could throw off the fiscal cliff and they wouldn't be missed. This area that is blacked out from your adjustment is a critical area that was messed up by Suzuki in order to meet the testing requirements enforced upon them by the EPA. That is the area you would want to and need to correct to get the bike to run its best. If I were you I'd only buy the non-EX PC version if you can find a used one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 01:37 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

For everyone out there who owns a 2012 V still under warranty. I have posted a few times about the running issue with problems ranging from missing, sputtering and stalling. After many phone calls and complaints to my dealer and Suzuki Inc. they tried the Iridium plugs and Yoshing the bike to the next richer fuel setting, UNDER WARRANTY. This seemed to help the running a lot but still had problems with stalling and my mpg went from the 40s to the 20s and it was running so rich it gassed you out at stop lights. My dealer went to bat for me and found that Suzuki was testing a new ECU for the bike to correct the problem. 500 units were shipped to the USA in recent weeks and I just received one for my bike. Its a total swap out for the original ECU and is covered under warranty. I will be picking my bike up soon and keep you posted on the results. This is a huge admission from Suzuki and hopefully a step in the right direction. Having to buy a Power Commander was totally unacceptable to me and I would fight to the end to make Suzuki either fix the bike or buy it back...which they have done. Am I the only one out there from this forum to receive a new ECU and have a dealer that actually stands behind what he sells?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-11-2012, 11:38 AM
Stromthusiast!

steevestrom,

that's good news that the dealer went to bat for you and you got results. I hope everything turns out ok and your bike runs the way it should, please keep us posted. I bought mine last month, it was used with 500 miles on it and runs ok above 4000 RPM. I have the same problem as everyone else on this board. My bike was built in April last year so not sure if the ECU's you're talking about would affect mine. I have a power commander on order to see if that will solve the running issues, if not hopefully my dealer will go to bat like yours....

Jeff,
Austin, TX
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-11-2012, 12:07 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I bought my 2012 Adventure in May of 2012. I would assume that anybody who goes back to their dealer about the running issue would be entitled to receiving the ECU. Suzuki has now basically admitted to the problem and by issuing a fix, they should be willing to produce as many ECU/ECM whichever you may call it to take care of all consumers who purchased a DL1000. Why should we have to spend the money for a Power Commander and then pay somebody to install it (for those of us without the knowledge and resources to program it)? I would rather spend my money on other farkles that don't have to do with how the bike should perform straight from the factory.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:35 PM
Stromthusiast!

Default power commander 5

installed power commander 5 yesterday and improved driveability immensely...Using Steven Davis's map it very noticeably has smoothed the engine out , has smoothed out the idle, basically behaves alot better.

Jeff
Austin, TX
Old 12-13-2012, 12:41 PM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmackd1 View Post
installed power commander 5 yesterday and improved driveability immensely...Using Steven Davis's map it very noticeably has smoothed the engine out , has smoothed out the idle, basically behaves a lot better.

Jeff
Austin, TX

Excellent News Jeff, I am glad the Power Commander PC-V worked so well for you,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair
Old 01-10-2013, 04:06 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I have a PC III on my DL1000 and i found that if the throttle position is incorrect the bike will backfire. I'm talking about the setting in the PC program. Make sure the min and max values correspond to your throttle at closed and WOT.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:37 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I call Suzuki five minutes ago, and they don't know anything about this new ECU, and say they are still waiting for EPA approval for the new mapping.

I am tired of this problem, I am not sure if a PC solve the problem.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:59 PM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Thumbs up Power Commanders

The key is to have the dyno map built at all throttle positions, I use the Factory Pro Style of Dyno when we our custom mapping so that the bike is tuned at all throttle positions,

I do know that there are several excellment maps for our DL1000 bikes available on the forum and I would definitely install one of them so that you have a great baseline to work with. Many times these maps are all you need,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair
Old 03-03-2013, 07:42 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I downloaded a map that has a .djm extension, if i save it as a .pvm will it load up correctly using the power commander V?
07 DL1000 13K Miles with Akrapovic Slip-ons, Madstad 22" Windshield w/bracket, Sargent Seat, Givi E52 Rear Trunk, Center Stand, Givi Crash Bars, Rick's Mirror Extenders & Fork Brace, Power Commander V
18 other bikes in the last 35 years
Sponsored Links
Advertisement