Backfire on DL1000 fixed by idle adjustment - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL1000 - 2002-2012

DL1000 - 2002-2012 For those bikes with two pipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 07:17 AM
Stromthusiast!

Default Backfire on DL1000 fixed by idle adjustment

I ride the VStrom to work every day. For over a year now its been backfiring when letting off the throttle. I know most of the places during my commute where the loudest bangs will happen. For example , there is a long straight coming down Rt128 past the Mass pike exit that ends in a traffic jam as the Pike traffic merges with Rt128. As I go under the overpass, that nice covered area is usually where I let off the throttle and "BAM!!" the exhaust backfires making cars around me brake, turn their heads, thinking most likely its another terrorist attack . The backfires seemed to become more frequent as the temps have got warmer but it got the point where I was no longer enjoying the ride anymore. It was backfiring all the time.

I looked into the cause and too much unburnt fuel in the exhaust, too much air (exhaust leak? RAID air system to blame etc etc) were all highlighted as culprits here on this Forum.Blocking off the RAID system and having your Power Commander fiddled with were supposed to cure the issue. I did this (at Harrys Machine Shop) when the bike was dynoed last year and nothing...still backfired like a crazy wild stallion I rode on and on but wasnt enjoying the experience. Sure sometimes it was fun to scare the clean-cut professional driving his BMW but it got old quick.

Which brings me on to this week...I noticed my idle was low. It was 1000 rpm and the bike sounded like an asthmatic smoker. This had slowly become normal to me. I know VStroms should be set at 1200-1300 rpm. After work one day I upped the idle to 1400-1500 and instantly the thrummy VStrom engine sparked into a new more hurried sounding life. I rode to work that morning. Something was different I thought as I sped up the VFW Parkway. The bike felt peppier and younger than its 45K miles and I remembered the idle adjustment from the previous night. Could it really be that simple?!

I carried on with the commute speeding up and slowing down where I could to see if I could reproduce the backfire that usually announced my arrival through the backstreets of West Newton. Silence. I got out on the highway and came around the large sweeping corner to the long straight that ended with the overpass. I accelerated. Wow that feels good. The 16/43 sprockets, the PC-V map suddenly meant something now. It reminded me of the day I left Rick Stetsons place over a year ago. Traffic ahead, roll of the throttle, slowing down, wait for it....wait for it...here it comes, its building up, almost there, body tenses, teeth clench....and nothing. Really?! Thats it!?

So can someone explain how adjusting the idle can cure the backfire on a DL1000?

thanks
Andy in Boston
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2013, 07:58 AM
Stromthusiast!

not sure, but your idle is set too high. 1100-1300 is correct.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-12-2013, 09:35 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Higher idle speeds can cure a lot of symptoms on Vees! While I really liked the sound at idle mine had at 1000-1100 rpm setting up the idle to 1300 helped the low speed hiccups a lot. Especially the "stuck in traffic running 2nd gear at low rpm and giving slight throttle adjustment" backfire and farts. I don't know if idle set to 1400-1500 would cause any problems, but I do know 1000 is too low for proper operation in most cases.

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com
Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry info@werksparts.com
Old 07-14-2013, 09:41 AM
Stromthusiast!

Thanks Realshelby that confirms what I was thinking.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:55 AM
Stromthusiast!

Proper idle adjustment also improves personal health, fixes dire economic problems, opens the portal to Narnia, and reveals the meaning of life. Use it wisely.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:12 AM
Moderator++

The usual symptom of a too high idle is the rpms will hang at 2500rpm or so. If that doesn't happen, it's probably okay but 1300 is the top of the idle setting spec for the Vee.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:36 AM
Stromthusiast!

I would still like to know why the idle setting has such a big impact on backfiring? I am guessing it is ECU related. I have a PC-V mapped to the bike (backfire occurs with/without PC-V).

thanks
Andy
Old 07-17-2013, 08:55 AM
Moderator++

One cause of backfiring is too lean a mixture. Raising the idle may have brought the throttle past a lean spot.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:45 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
One cause of backfiring is too lean a mixture. Raising the idle may have brought the throttle past a lean spot.
Thats what I was thinking as well. I searched the Forum for answers on backfiring and there is a range of answers but no one yet seems to have played around with their idle so thought this post would be informative. Especially before you re-map, remove the RAID system etc. Curious to see what effect it has on gas mileage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement