Well i got a few more things ticked off the list yesterday
First job of the day was to replace the headstem bearings with tapered rollers, as i needed to pull the complete front end off the bike i decided to also install a Galfer SS brake line kit that i bought from Blair.
Install of the full SS brake lines..
As you can see from the photo, the fitment of the 2 lines to the ABS modulator were less than satisfactory, i mucked around for about 3 hours with getting the lines fitted where they did not foul anything, finally i gave up and re installed the factory rubber lines
Next part of the day was spent trying to figure out how to adapt the CF BMW GS1200 front guard to the strom. When i saw the pics of the guard, i pictured simply bolting it to the fork brace, unfortunately it wasn't quite that simple. The mating surface was irregular so i had to cut the guard then fabricate up an alloy adapter out of 3mm alloy plate (actually a mate did this as i am useless making stuff)
As you can see we used a stack of washers under the adapter, once we have ascertained the correct length of spacer required, we will cut some tube the correct length and ditch the washers. We drilled and tapped the front of the adapter and used button head bolts to fit it to the front of the guard, the rear bolts go through the adapter and screw into the brace that we drilled and tapped.
Here is the guard dummied up on the bike, i just need to refine the angle of the guard, then it will be disassembled and the adapter will be painted and the install dressed up a bit.
I am very happy with the look, i think the final plan is coming together.
I have been trying to decide what to do about the lights, i have considered mounting projectors in the buell headlight, or even using a buell fairing to suit the projectors and ditch the XB headlight unit
After the SS brake line issue, i have decided to keep it simple, cost have been getting out of hand as i usually have the attitude of lets do it properly. i should have just bought the longer front m/cyl brake line, so with ths new found wisdom, i have ordered a H4 conversion relay kit from Eastern Beaver and i will simply use the standard H1 lamps from the Buell XB headlight.
For some stupid reason i decided to add up all my expenses last week,
it came to a grand total of about $2,600. I still have about $500-$600 to spend. So all up, it is looking like all the mods will run out to $3K. A little more than i hoped, but i have bought a lot of very nice stuff. So i am happy with what the bike will owe me finished, still way cheaper than any other option out there.