StromTrooper banner

How cold is too cold?

9K views 71 replies 38 participants last post by  beewerks 
#1 ·
I love riding my new Wee/Gl.., and I have a nice, long 70 mile commute to work. I've been itching to ride to work these past few mornings, but the temps have been around 26º F. I have good winter gear and heated grips.

Any winter commuters ride to work? How cold is too cold for everyone?

#3 ·
I've ridden on the mid - 20's. The only heated stuff I have are the HotGrips, both the Wee and the Connie. Combined with thick winter gloves, it works OK for me. The big barn door windshield and fairing on the Connie make it the choice for winter riding, but the Wee does OK too.

#4 ·
Below 40f and I'm done. At that point, heat and a cup of coffee are much more appealing. :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

#5 · (Edited)
The last time I road was at the end of December and it was 25 degrees that morning. No heated gear but I was OK as far as my feet, fingers, etc. I did take a secondary road so the speeds were down under 60. BUT, my unheated face shield kept fogging up so I'd pop it up a bit on the move an open all the way at stop lights. Well the cold air across my face did me in. By noon that day I could feel a cold comming on. Got home ok but was layed up the next week sick. So lesson learned - I need a heated shield!

#6 ·
there is no coldest, just what you can dress for

I've been out at 12° below F on my nekid SV650 (100mile + ride) , haven't been out colder cause I just haven't seen colder temps where I live, but I'm ready to ride

be aware, at those temps greatest risk of injury is from hypothermia and frostbite. you may have to give up some crash protection

#7 ·
I rode to town to get parts for my truck one time and the Bank clock said 4 degrees! That was an emergency as the bike was the only transportation running. I have also ridden in 110+ degrees so that is quite a spread.

I don't like to ride in the 20's much. I worry about ice. One little spot of frozen water from a ditch or pothole in the right place and you are DOWN. Might be ok for an early morning start knowing it will warm up quickly. Beyond that I don't do it.

#56 ·
+1

I use Nike Pro. It has been my experience that the micro-fleece in the Nike Pro is thicker / warmer than Under Armour's Cold Gear.

How cold is too cold? That's really a personal choice. I prefer a heated jacket liner compared to many layers. Too many layers and it becomes too stiff and uncomfortable. Heated grips help a lot, but heated gloves will allow you to ride in even lower temps. Hand guards that keep the wind off your hands are a big help. Combine that with heated grips or gloves and you'll have to switch your focus to another part of your body.

It also depends on how long you are out in the cold. It's not to hard to stay warm down to 40f. Below that I break out the heated gear. Below 30f and you will need to start thinking about your feet / toes after a couple of hours.

With all this being said, I'm not expert. After all, I live in Georgia where it doesn't get that cold. I'm a fair weather or 3 season rider. This means I park the bike from June - August due to the heat and humidity. ATGATT is the only way I'll ride.

#10 ·
I've commuted down to -16c. or around 3F. That was before I got my electric gear and for a one hour commute it was colder than I was comfy with. I don't mind riding in the 20's (F) as long as I don't have the threat of lake-effect snow and have dry roads.

Now with electric gear I have no issues with riding in cold but I will take more breaks than I might in warmer weather.

One nice thing about cold weather riding is NO BUGS!!!! :)

..Tom

#14 ·
I've commuted down to -16c. or around 3F. That was before I got my electric gear and for a one hour commute...
There's no way I could stand 3F for an hour. Just wouldn't happen.

I feel I really push it, temp-wise, for my area, and I get quite chilly after 10 miles (12-15 minutes) at anything under 30F.

I still ride down to about 26F, but I notice the difference between 26 & 30, believe it or not.

I'm 50+ and have no heated gear of any type, but even as a 20-year old I believe I couldn't have tolerated 3F for an hour on a bike. Amazing !

#11 ·
I ride everyday year round in Seattle,for about 3 months it can be in the low 20's and I have no heated gear or grips.I wear a balacava shirt,a fleece and my Darien jacket,Below I were a pair of underarmor thermals and my Cycloak goretex pants.I just wear my Tourmaster winter gloves BUT I use HippoHands,I believe FOR ME they are the key for staying warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

#12 ·
Age and medical conditions have a lot to do with riding in the cold.
I am 68 years old and have never been without some model of bike since 18 yrs old.
Back in my 20 and 30's I would ride all winter and back then I didn't know what motorcycle boots or clothes were. No such things as waterproof clothes or boots.
Now at 68 I have congestive heart failure and other medical problems. With medication I am on I can not ride in cold weather because of blood thinners and heart meds.
Those who are still young are blessed that they can ride in the cold as I once was able to. I do miss being able to ride all year long.

#15 ·
I haven't yet encountered a cold that I would not go out in.

That being said, I did pop for a heated jacket liner and some heated gloves this year.

Its the damn ice on the roadway that keeps me in a cage. we cant seem to have many days right now that dont have some moisture along with the cold. I have a trace of snow at my place that has been here for 8 days now. My normal 40 mile (each way) commute passes from 1180 feet to almost sea level and over and along both the clackamas and Willamette rivers.

Today I have to wear sunglasses its so sunny, as I slide along the ice.

:bom_bigcry: in the cage again.

#17 ·
...My normal 40 mile (each way) commute...
40 miles per way
80 miles per day
400 miles per work week
500 miles (?) per week

That's really rackin' up the miles ! How many on the bikes, if you don't mind me asking ?

#16 ·
I stop riding at 32 deg. There are too many shaded secondary roads where I live and I'm afraid of black ice.

#42 ·
This^^^ Below, or even close above freezing, the ground/road temperature may still be significantly below, and black ice can happen.

Beyond that, I find my hands get cold at low temps, even with the hand guards and (when they were still working) heated grips. Electric gloves would probably be the thing for me.

#21 ·
It must be my Norwegian ancestory or I have antifreeze in my blood, but I seldom get cold. I'm 59 now and can still ride in the 20's comfortably with no heated gear. My son and I got caught last year in low teens/high single digits on our way to a club breakfast. We had to cross 2 mountain ranges and the temp really varied. He had lightweight gloves and I ended up giving my winter gloves to him. The summer weight gloves were a pain and my hands did get cold, but it was OK. Total time enroute just over 1 hour. The main problem was instant icing of the face shield on the inside.
I used to commute all year crossing 1 mnt range through nat'l forest in the early morning dark, but it wasn't the cold that stopped me----it was the crazy drivers going the other way to work.
Anyway face mask fogging/freezing were always the worst problems.

#23 ·
I can do my short (8.5 miles each way) commute in pretty cold weather - it was mid 20s yesterday morning. But I try to be careful to be sure it will be dry. Didn't work yesterday as some surprise snow showed up and got everything wet. Fortunately, the roads didn't freeze along my route, but I was nervous heading home around 9PM.

One thing to bear in mind when relying on heated gear (which I use and recommend) is to be prepared if something happens and the gear no longer works. That is, have some back up layers available.

#25 ·
#27 ·
Frozen dumpster juice.

I don't ride on garbage days below freezing any more.

#35 · (Edited)
Wind make heat transfer faster (heat loss from object hotter than the air), but when object and surrounding air have equal température, there is no more heat to transfer so at this moment the wind have no effect (like a thermometer that is already at air temperature).
With your watch the contrary would be true if air outside your vehicule would be hotter than inside.

#37 ·
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I've been riding a long time(I'm 57), and I grew up in Pennsylvania, so I'm no stranger to cold weather. I recall one memorable ride on a Harley Sportster in January when it was in the low teens. I had no special gear...and that was the longest 50 miles of my life! I've even been ice fishing several times. Ice fishermen( and fisherwomen) are a special breed, that's for sure

I have good winter gear, and riding in the mid 30's is comfortable, so tomorrow morning the Wee goes to work. Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.