StromTrooper banner

Reservation fee in the Maritimes

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  nsditchdoc 
#1 ·
I just saw someone post a ride he was planning in NL that reminded me I wanted to share something I learned on my maritimes trip this August. If you're calling to make a reservation at a National or Provincial Park in NS or NL (this may be true Canada wide. Don't know.) You'll be told there's a $10. reservation fee. This has nothing to do with the actual campsite fee. If you want to reserve that campsite, you pay $10 EXTRA. Even during August, I never found a full campground and the check-in folks told me I didn't need to make a reservation: they always have over-flow space. What a rip-off! I imagine this is some political favor by the Canadian gov't to the co. that provides this bogus "service". Maybe needed if you're in an RV, but they knew I was on a bike. Shame on the Canadian gov't for allowing this. Camping in NS or NL? Don't bother with the reservation option.
BTW, I'm planning to go back next year. Its a beautiful ride all the way from my home in W. Mass - then heaven when you get there. Plus, this time I'll be on my new wee and more comfortable pulling off the tarmac to take a picture or keep going when it ends...(took my LT last time. Dropped it twice)

#3 · (Edited)
It costs money to run the parks. It's how we do it here. Don't like it? Stay south of the border where all the parks are full of unicorns and rainbows.

Sheesh.

#5 ·
Don't bother with reservations.
Take whatever's left on a holiday week-end.
Save $10.
Good luck.

#6 ·
Thanks Fred.
My intention was solely to save fellow bikers money. If I'm going to make a donation I want it to go to something useful like a park staff's pay: not a booking agency charging for phony peace of mind.

#7 ·
My intention was not to encourage complaint about a booking agency,

In my camping days, finding a spot was becoming difficult. With our huge population expansion, there are not enough spots to go around in most areas.

To ensure our families can rely on having a spot, they reserve ahead rather than tell the kids at the park gates that they are going back home.

Like anybody else the ones working the reservation system don't work free.

By all means, feel free not to reserve, but don't count on a spot. With most of our area facing a 4-5 hour drive on Fridays this isn't an option.

#8 ·
I reserved a campsite for one of our popular desert parks for Mar 1-2. That can be prime flower viewing time and camp sites can be at a premium. Nothing like riding 150 miles to find out the campsites are all taken.
I reserved KOA sites and Park sites when I did a couple 3 week vacations with the sidecar rig. It's nice to know you will have a place to plunk your butt after a day of riding.
It's usually cheaper than the 4 seasons resort!

#9 ·
FEES

I travel extensively in the maritimes every summer and have stayed at almost every provincial/federal park in all the provinces. I have yet to make a reservation at any of them and have never been denied a site even when arriving late in the evening. There is an exception however, during July/August you will need a reservation (if you can get one) at Kejimkujik National Park in Nova Scotia. Very popular park and beautiful I must add...

If you need any info on the parks, don't hesitate to drop me a note....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.