StromTrooper banner

knuk sound when braking

4K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  Mythbuster 
#1 · (Edited)
hi again :mrgreen:

lately i have this knuk sound coming somewhere infront of me when using the front brakes,
the harder i brake the louder knuk i get when diving and enother one or more when releasing the front brakes.

pushing down the forks while standing gives no sound but pushing the forks down and puling the brakes give me again this ugly knuks

my vee is 2006 with 51k

mmmm, any ideas?

#2 ·
I get that sound after I've stopped on a hill or used the brakes while backing up.

I think it's the pads reseating in the holders while going forward.

I could be wrong as to the cause, but that's what I believe it is.

:beatnik:

Some one get me the bong, eh?

#10 ·
I get that sound after I've stopped on a hill or used the brakes while backing up...
Janice,

In your case I'm sure it's your Bong moving around in your topcase.

.Tom

#13 ·
knuk sound when yer breaking is normal but when your braking is not normal
Is the first "K" in "knuk" silent?

And how does "Yer Braking" differ from "your braking"? and so either of these apply when "you're braking"???

This confuses me terribly.

..Tom

#15 ·
I'm correcting the title before this goes too far.

#18 ·
hey, i was writing it very late at night and english is not my language,
lets see how you guys write in Hebrew :mrgreen:
That's exactly why grammar and spelling complaints on the Internet are frowned upon.

#19 ·
Check that all the bolts are tight and that none of the caliper rivets are REALLY loose.

They are supposed to move a little, but only a slight wiggle.

Otherwise, the DL brakes make a faint 'tink' sound if the pads are worn into the rotor and the calipers are clean. One of the pads on each side can swing back and forward a little. Gravity pulls it down, air and brake friction pulls it forward - so there's a faint 'tink' from that.

Pete

#20 ·
hi again,
lately i have this knuk sound coming somewhere in front of me when using the front brakes,
...the brakes give me again this ugly knuks

my vee is 2006 with 51k

mmmm, any ideas?
My DL1000k6 does the same thing but it's a klunk (not a knuks).

Here is what I did...
1.) Put bike on center stand while my assistant (fat brother-in-law) sits on tail rack thereby lifting front tire off the ground.
Then I push & yank on front fork and triple tree assembly.
No sound or looseness.

2.) Walk bike up to the curb. Roll bike into the curb.
Bike stops abruptly but...
No sound or apparent looseness.

3.) Sit on bike on flat level ground with engine off. Roll the bike forward a little and then briskly grab the front brake.
Bike makes klunk sound!

4.) Report my findings here and take a beating from the peanut gallery.

One other thing you may want to check...
I was told by greywolf that some wee riders had said that a loose fuel tank can make that klunk-on-stop sound too.

No need to thank me... :new_shitsmiley:

#21 ·
Check the slap in the disc rotor ..on the little circular floaters..mine had worn on one side only ..a new set of wave rotors straight from China 240$ ..no knuck and better braking ...:thumbup:

Just replaced the clutch basket in my V-Strom last few days ...different bike ..no chudder ...no rattle with clutch out...no vibration through bars at all now ...:hurray:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.