StromTrooper banner

Help needed - Barkbusters on 2012 DL650

5K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  RudyRoo 
#1 ·
Sorry if this is already covered. I did a search and nada.
Trying to get the BarkBusters fitted well to my 2012 DL650.
Initially they hit the plastic of the fairing when bars were on full-lock -- so I installed up and back SW handlebar risers and that solved that problem.
Now I see that the seemingly only place to mount the left side BarkBuster puts its handlebar mount right up against the electrical switch thing at the back of the clutch lever (see picture).
It seems to me that as soon as the BarkBuster bar hits something solid -- it might move its handlebar mount and crunch the clutch switch thing -- and maybe that will cause problems with re-starting the bike etc.
Your words of wisdom/previous experience gratefully accepted.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
will have to phone supplier tomorrow then

The correct p/n is the BB-BHG46. Twisted throttles website changed the p/n within the past week or so. The old p/n, -3 something didn't fit.
Thanks -- and not the first time this order was mucked up.
Perhaps the ones I have are not 2012 specific.
The first time, they didn't fit with the Kaoko throttle-lock cruise control they also supplied. Now the prob is with the left side unit.

#4 ·
The left Bark Buster on my 12 did contact the clutch switch and cause starting problems when installed according to the instructions. Had to slip it just right to get a solid contact to start. Wrong answer.

Also the BBs bumped the windscreen on both sides before reaching the stop. Same answer.

Two solutions that worked for me were to use the Varadero mounting parts that came in the kit on my V both left and right sides. I'm cheap and didn't want to spring for handlebar risers. This moved the plastic wind guards outboard a bit allowing clearance on the fairing and windscreen. Worked real slick.

I also adjusted the left BB forward/down slightly and the clutch mount up/back slightly to relieve pressure on the clutch switch. Both are still in range for my hand to be in the right spot to work the clutch and be covered by the BB.

It worked, but that was after I waited a week for a replacement switch from the dealer thinking I broke the original. Now I have a spare. :D

Attachments

#7 ·
thanks

Thanks heaps for that racefan -- don't know how I missed it.
I phoned the mob I got them thru today -- and apparently mine are the right part number; then phoned BarkBusters -- and there's no updated part apparently -- but plenty of offers to help from them should I not have joy with moving things around a bit -- plus the request for emailed pics in the case of requesting help.
I'll read the your supplied thread -- and take it from there

#8 ·
Handlebar rotation

I was able to get mine to fit, granted with less than 1/4" clearance from the clutch switch, just by holding it in place while tightening down the bolts. I also had some interference at full lock on the left side between the aluminum backbone and the instrument panel. This just barely touched, so I filed the end of the backbone and polished it up afterwards. Just recently, I removed the handlebar and when I lined it back up using the dot on the handlebar, I inadvertently rotated the handlebar just slightly back towards me, this provided another ~1/2" of clearance from the instrument panel.

Not quite as much clearance as I'd like in some places, but no contact and they are really appreciated on the cold rides.

#10 ·
I was able to get mine to fit, granted with less than 1/4" clearance from the clutch switch, just by holding it in place while tightening down the bolts.
I recieved my email back today from Rob at Barkbusters - Home
I got his email address and had sent pics of the set-up and area I was having problems with.
He identified that I had an incorrect spacer behind the bar end weight.
Feeling quite a mug at such a simple glitch. Oh well -- live and learn.
The barkbuster handlebar bracket still doesn't completely clear the plastic part of the clutch switch -- but at least now it won't sever the wires if it rotates under force.
Happy now -- & it looks good and also strong; and now I'll be able to use the Kaoko throttle stop/cruise control. Hurray

#9 ·
I'm going to replace my 4 allen key bolts (the ones that hold the bark busters to the handlebars) to stainless steel, already had one snap in half after 1600k's, apparently the ones what come with the kit are zinc. I still have to somehow drill out the broken bit.

#13 ·
3 snapped

One of mine snapped, I replaced it with a hardware store part. Took a 60 miles ride, came back and found 2 more snapped. Replaced all with hardware store parts. Another 70 mile ride, no problems. I know how much is tight as I've been working on airplanes for 35 years and I didn't overtorque the originals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.