StromTrooper banner

New toy. Where to mount a GoPro camera?

13K views 41 replies 25 participants last post by  src350z 
#1 ·
I was given a gopro camera by my wife and was going to mount it somewhere on either me or the storm and was seeing if someone has tried this before and if so, what the best locations have been. I will put a helmet mount on one side and was looking at something on the front somehow. I might need a curved mount and try the front of the front fender. I saw earlier posts that said someone tried this, but too far back and the suspension did its work and squashed the camera.

Its all trial and error I guess, but I have our work Christmas ride this weekend and want proof of how slow pirates can ride and how fast a strom can get past them. I've set up the wifi so I can start and stop it on the go and mounted this on the handle bar for access. Thanks in advance.

#5 ·
Yep, plenty of places on a V-Strom to mount things. I've a ram ball on my clutch reservoir and have made up a little mount that I can bolt onto my pannier racks or footpeg mounts. Real easy on a bike with no fairing...

#6 ·
Mounting a GoPro is one of the problem with their profile v. cameras like the Contour which are much easier to find a location. Helmet mounted on a street bike....... if you don't mind the turbulence.

#8 ·
I have the ram mount system and have used it successfully for both my GPS as well as my GoPro, from the handlebar mounts. Actually I have two ram mount points so I can mount both units simultaniously. One mount point is a u-bolt clamp that can be moved around the bike and one is bolted directly the handlebar riser that is permanent.

I have moved the upbolt clamp to the passenger footpeg bracket but the result was really boring so I won't be doing that again. I have considered the crash bars but haven't tried that one yet.

Gotta love the ram system for it's flexibility. I have all the sticky mounts that came with the camera, but I just can't make myself stick that thing on my helmet. My reluctance may be a fear-of-commitment thing, but I have made so many changes to my bike that it's probably just me. I love changes and the ram system allows me to change my mind.

#11 · (Edited)
90% of the time I use a RAM mount (ball with an M6 thru-bolt, medium arm, ball with a 1/4-20 tripod screw) that I fixed to the left side fairing near the gauges by replacing one of the fairing panel bolts.

This puts the camera under and slightly forward of the left handlebar, close enough for me to reach down and start/stop recording while riding - of course this is easier with a Contour than GoPro.

Mounting under the handlebar or upper left fairing area gives you this POV:

The other 10% of the time, I use one of these: Pedco Universal UltraClamp Mount - PointofViewCameras.com The 1.5" clamp gives you a few temporary mounting options like the swingarm, passenger pegs, luggage handles, rear rack, various handlebar protrusions, etc. So you can mix it up without having semi-permanent mounts everywhere.

One of my favorite locations is the bottom left corner of the radiator. It gives this view of the forks and wheel:

Have fun with the cam!

#21 ·
90% of the time I use a RAM mount (ball with an M6 thru-bolt, medium arm, ball with a 1/4-20 tripod screw) that I fixed to the left side fairing near the gauges by replacing one of the fairing panel bolts.

This puts the camera under and slightly forward of the left handlebar, close enough for me to reach down and start/stop recording while riding - of course this is easier with a Contour than GoPro.
Can you please PM me a pic of this setup, can't picture it exactly.

I struggle with a place to lunt mine, where the vibes don't up the video when I'm "on it" hard :)

#13 ·
Adobe Premiere Elements for those vids.

In past media jobs, I used pro versions of Premiere and After Effects as well as Avid, but the amazing thing is that today's $99 consumer version is almost as good (and in some cases, better) than a $5000 suite of professional software from 10 years ago. :mrgreen:

#14 ·
Thanks

Thanks for all of the tips and also the videos showing how it could look. I was distracted from setting up the vee this week as I created dog cam! I have a Jack Russell who loves the beach so I used a harness and set it up on his back. Very funny to watch as he jumps in to the surf and takes on the waves. I have our Christmas ride this weekend and will try the helmet mount and most likely a radiator mount or crash bar mount. I have the wifi remote so can do it from the bars easily. Thanks again for everyones ideas. I was going to edit using the software from gopro, but might have a look at that $99 dollar one as I was going to get the new photoshop anyway.

#15 ·
Thanks for all of the tips and also the videos showing how it could look. I was distracted from setting up the vee this week as I created dog cam! I have a Jack Russell who loves the beach so I used a harness and set it up on his back. Very funny to watch as he jumps in to the surf and takes on the waves. I have our Christmas ride this weekend and will try the helmet mount and most likely a radiator mount or crash bar mount. I have the wifi remote so can do it from the bars easily. Thanks again for everyones ideas. I was going to edit using the software from gopro, but might have a look at that $99 dollar one as I was going to get the new photoshop anyway.
first off- advertising a 'dog cam' without showing the video = LAME!! C'mon, I wanna see the dog's view! :) (damn these tiny cameras are fun!)

second- as far as video editing software goes, most every company out there offers a free trial of their product. Download the trial first to see which one fits your needs. I personally like Corel VideoStudio ( Corel Corporation - United States) but Adobe has a great product as well. (Also- photoshop is not a video editor, it edits photos)

#16 ·
#19 ·
I had mounts on my helmet as well as on my KLR for the last trip to AK. Havent moved the mounts to the Wee yet but the 3M automotive tape works wonders and are hard to take off even after all the rain, dirt, dust etc. I've taken the mounts off and pealed off the old tape and applied new and reused the mounts.

I had one on top of my helmet for the trip up to AK. Took me a couple days to get over the buffeting feel in my head. LOL But the video was great. I moved it to the front of the KLR on the down and it was still good video.

I'd say anyplace it gets a clear view ahead on the bike will work.

I love the video with the front tire and may try a mount there for this weekends ride.

#22 ·
One of my riding buddy's has a Go Pro. If you mount it on your helmet you lose the feeling of the lean angle ... You move your head to keep the view level ... so mount it on the bike. RAM mounts are for sure the way to go and GPS City is great to deal with. Crashbars are a good mounting point, but we've also put RAM mounts on the clutch perch and I've got one on the clutch side mirror mount. Experiment as you'll get some vibration.

#24 ·
Nice thing about the go pro is you can mount it just about anywhere. Windscreen, just make sure you use some kind of leash just in case, helmet. I have mounted them facing backwards on the tank, on top of the dash facing forwards or back, My GF's helmet. Just about anywhere you can stick the adhesive mounts or suction cup Keep the mount arm as short as possible to minimize vibrations

#26 ·
Yeah I'll try to take a better pic this weekend. There was some fabrication involved.

RAM sells a ball that accepts a standard M6 bolt, which goes right through the ball and becomes the stalk.

I replaced the stock fairing bolt with my own assembly that consisted of a longer M6 bolt, a couple of nuts and delrin spacers I had lying around to sheathe the exposed part of the bolt, and then the ram ball at the end.

The arm clamps onto that. The ball sticks out about an inch from the fairing, just enough room for the arm to grip it without interference.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#28 ·
Gopro mount

This is my solution that I just set up. I drilled two holes into the rear fender (the level horizontal space just in front of the seat key hole) and attached one of the ram mounts to that. More testing will need to be done for vibration sake, but so far it seems pretty good. There's still vibration on considerably bumpy roads, but so far it's okay when stabilized by youtube or iMovie.

Sample:Youtube link

#29 ·
let me be the first to suggest on your helmet.

why?

because you'll end up getting footage of where you are looking instead of a stationary position on the bike. Certainly works when you are dealing with asshat drivers on the road.

I have mine mounted on the right hand side of my helmet.

#30 ·
Re: side helmet mount

So how did you determine where to put the curved sticky mount on the side of your helmet for the best perspective. Obviously, one wants to keep it clear of the visor but how do you decide exactly where to put the sticky base...because it's not all that easily removed to relocate it? Is it just a "take a chance" sort of thing?

#31 ·
So how did you determine where to put the curved sticky mount on the side of your helmet for the best perspective. Obviously, one wants to keep it clear of the visor but how do you decide exactly where to put the sticky base...because it's not all that easily removed to relocate it? Is it just a "take a chance" sort of thing?
Open the visor and put it where it won't interfere. It's not all that hard to take the mounts off a helmet. And if you do have it on your helmet, you can face the camera forward or aft.

#33 ·
If you've got an Android phone or an Iphone, download the free GoPro app. You connect to your GoPro with wifi and it gives a preview on your phone of what the camera is seeing. WAY better for sticking the mounts, as you know exactly where it's going to "see" before you take the sticky plunge.

#35 ·
The best place to mount you cam is always your head. You will get smooth footage, no vibrations and it will be pointed where you look. The bike frame is good for artsy footages, then cut between them.
I made this video with my gopro mounted on my head. I didn't even notice the camera, there was no drag:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.