StromTrooper banner

Season gone bad, to my Trooper friends.

11K views 81 replies 52 participants last post by  aldntn 
#1 ·
I was out o BRP and had a stent go bad in my leg while on a trip by myself. I was out on the BRP for my last long trip of the season. I had grand day riding the BRP. The stent felt like I was shot with a gun in my leg when it blew. Off to the emergency room to a Hospital in VA. And the back to a hospital in NY. The end result was that I lost my leg below my knee. A season ender for certain. I am looking ahead to a long repair & adapting to a replacement left leg. Any one on the list been threw anything like this?

#57 ·
Maybe you only need the right "scoot" while you only have one wheel -- something to move your butt around, up, and down. Surely some one of the mechanic's stool versions would help. Alternative: with a bit of help from your friends, lay your bike on its side, de-farkle, and reverse. It'll take some extra time but maybe you have more of that than you want anyway.

Best of success in adapting to your changed conditions!

#59 ·
I wonder if it's early to sell the strom before you know what your capabilities might be. As the months roll by is there a chance that you might be able to ride it?

I once rode with a Canadian through Baja who had lost a leg, somewhere well above his knee. He had a wooden peg and had a special cup on his Harley where he placed his 'leg' when he rode. His bike was a custom he built and I believe he had a hand shifter.

Good luck.

#60 ·
:iagree: I'm surprised you're already planning on selling the Wee. I'd wait it out and see how things progress over the next few months, it's a bad time to sell a bike anyhow, you'll get more for your bike in the spring.

I have a hand injury that has kept me off my Wee for the last 2.5 years, I almost sold it to you if you remember. I keep it because I'm determined to ride it again. I hate the idea of selling the Wee and buying another down the road, especially after it's been farkled.

#61 ·
Maybe a electric shifter would work.

#62 ·
That's an idea. There seems to be a few out there, I checked out the Pingel system, they don't have a DL650 specific unit, just a universal. Just press a button to up and down shift! Does anybody have any experience with these things??

#63 ·
Thats a good question. Drag bike guys wold use them I would think.

#64 ·
My buddy had an air shifter on his drag bike, but he had an air tank that would only last a few runs. You would need to have an on board compressor and tank to use it for full time use.. On the plus side, you would always have air to service the tires.

#65 ·
#67 ·
Sold the Wing over last weekend. I will not be throwing in the towel. I like that Pindel system. That may be the way to go.

#68 ·
I did put this in wanted but this block I believe gets more reads. Im looking for a bent up shift lever for my 2011 wee so my welding buddy can start building me a heel toe rocker type shift lever. This type lever may work with my future prosthetic leg.

#70 ·
Great idea, I hope this works, it would be better (and cheaper) if you didn't need the Pingel auto-shifter. So glad you're keeping the new Wee! I hope your recovery is going well.

#69 ·
I took a two day traffic riding course this fall with a group. One fellow was riding a Suzuki Bandit. It was not till we were all done and saying our goodbyes, that he mentioned that he had a prosthetic leg with a fixed ankle (he lost his years ago in a bicycle courier accident). No one had noticed during our many stops. AFAIK, his bike was not adapted in any way that I remember.

Merry Christmas to you and may the new year bring you a successful return to two-wheeled adventures!

#71 ·
My New Wee got 19,000 miles under it's belt this season. It was a great season that I will not forget. A season like this past one is what keeps me going. 42 years in the saddle and I dont think I am quite done yet.

#74 ·
In Fisherburgh, Va My Hotel was in Staunton. I did ride the BRP that day. It was a great day. The tree colors were at full blast. I will not ever forget it. I had the Wee chasing sport bikes all day. Those are my favorite days.

#75 · (Edited)
In Fisherburgh, Va My Hotel was in Staunton.
I think you mean Fishersville, which is about 7 miles from Staunton.
I was doing the BRP about a week before you, or possibly the same week. I cut my trip a day or two short to get home before the hurricane, but got to ride with Stromin'Norm for a couple of hrs. around Asheville, NC.
Heal well my friend.

Attachments

#78 ·
I was in Agusta for a few days. they tried to flush the stent in my leg without .success. Then I was shipped up to North Shore Hospital in NY to my surgeon the day before the hurricane. The day of Sandy was my 1st amputation had the below my knee. That did not work out and then a few weeks later all the damage showed & I had to go for an above the knee operation. Just yesterday I had the staples removed.

#79 ·
I want to wish you the best. It always worries me about being injured on a MC trip far from home. People think because you work in a hospital you have great healthcare. It's just the opposite. If I go to a out of network hospital which would probably happen, I would get stuck with a massive amount of out of pocket expenses. I tell my riding buddies, get me stabilized and then get me shipped to a network hospital.
How did you make it back to NJ? Ambulance?

#80 ·
NY yes ambulance 3700 dollars out of pocket

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.