StromTrooper banner

Advice needed: Alaska 2013 on wee

10K views 40 replies 24 participants last post by  LoneStrom 
#1 ·
I'm planning a solo Alaska ride for aug 15-sept 15 2013. I want to equip me wee properly for the trip, but don't want to buy needless farkles just for the sake of it. I own a DL650k7 with 4k miles and factory luggage. The only things I've added thus far are a sw motech skid plate and crash bars. I'd like to get advice from some veterans about what mods would be beneficial for this trip. Cost, while important, is not the greatest concern. My greatest concern is to equip the bike correctly for my journey. I think I want to add a pair of happy trails panniers in place of the factory luggage, but beyond that I would like some recommendations as to what I need.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

#36 ·
So here's my list.

We are riding up on my 2007 V and my wifes 1994 GS500.

The GS..
Bark Busters,this for falls and bracing For bar mitts
Bar mitts
Heated grips
50 cal ammo cans for panniers,also make great crash bars.
2 gallon gas can holder on rear rack.
Small fairing,with headlight guard.
Wrapped header pipes and alum plate attached to keep rocks a stuff from pounding the engine.
Shinko 705's,plus spare rear.
New brake pads F/R

Vstrom
New chain and sprockets
New brake pads F/R
Shinko 705's,plus spare rear
2 gallon RotoPax
Skid plate
Already have hippo hands
PC,(I give in!!)
New rear shock (about time)
Clutch mod ( again,about time!!)
Maybe heated grips

Tools and sparers

Tire plugger,17"&19" tubes,slime compressor,2 9" irons and 1 16" iron
Basic tools
Zip ties,rescue tape,assorted small hose clamps.
Small amount of elec wire,small multi meter.
1 quart of oil

We are planning on staying in hotels/motels but might take camping gear for emergencies..

2 pair small vice grips,for tire changes

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

#37 ·
What Strompilot said. With an added caveat - Anyone who predicts the weather up here is a liar. Don't have a schedule and let the weather push you around. Too much to do in one trip so go where the weather is nice (er). Anything big and furry has the right of way but IMHO the bears in YT are much cuter. Ours are big floppy and slovenly - tourists are hard to digest properly.
But our moose are beautiful.

#38 ·
One SMALL advantage I may have over someone coming up from the southern US is that I live in Seattle and our weather is almost as unpredicable as Alaska's and I ride year round everyday and atleast 4-5 months are in heavy rain !!.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

#40 ·
This months "RoadRUNNER" Magazine features a small advertisement for a book that is focused on nothing but Alaska. Can't remember who wrote it, it was co-authored, but it looked to be quite a good source of info. Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.