StromTrooper banner

close call

2K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  chicago 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I was driving home from work at midnight years ago and saw the car ahead of me swerve. I wondered why until I saw a box spring laying in the lane ahead of me. I was in my jeep and swerving wasn't a good idea so I centered the jeep over the springs and ran over it. No sweat for a jeep but the dang thing jumped out from under the back of jeep and went straight up in the air.
Good thing there wasn't any traffic behind me at that late hour. Could have been ugly.
Yah, just gotta watch out all the time.

#5 ·
Down here pot holes and open manholes can "appear" out from under a vehicle too. Dinged my front rim on a pot hole a few weeks ago. Luckily I missed the guy who was in there fishing :)

#8 ·
It's the smallest thing flying at me that bothers me most: lit cigarettes.

When I was a smoker in a cage, I never did that - maybe that's why it pisses me off so much. If I had a dime for every time I was behind someone at a stoplight, saw them look directly at me in the rearview, then a mile down the road chuck a lit cigarette at me...

#9 ·
...had one go down the front of my jacket once. Takes discipline to come to a safe stop with a burning nipple! (It's a lot like getting a bee in your ear...)

#10 ·
Let's see...

I once dodged a cinder block which materialized in front of me after the texting car driver swerved at the very last second managing to miss it.

Then I dodged a pickup truck rim that slid off the bed of a pickup in front of me. The guy never flinched after the rim slid off and tore across a few lanes. I guess it could have been worse. He could have lost a treadmill which was also sliding around in his open bed.

Dumba$$es is all I can say. :headbang:

Be alert is great advice!

#11 ·
not sure if this is the right place to post but I thought I'd pass it on.
Always be alert!!
Motorcyclist was lucky - YouTube
The fact that most people are oblivious to everything around them is one of the reasons I like motorcycling.
The sport is "self cleansing".

If you live your life as a self-centered, distracted idiot, (as most people do), and you happen to ride a motorcycle, you will most certainly be "cleansed" from the rest of us alert and courteous types.

Good video. Thanks for posting. :thumbsup:

#12 ·
In the "you will see everything at least once" land called So Cal... I once watched a car enter the freeway with a mattress on top, the driver and passenger each with an arm out the window holding it. Once at freeway speeds they could no longer manage. It flew and the poor bastard behind ran it over and had their evening ruined as it became lodged under their car.
Commute on my V every day. Have to be ready for anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#13 ·
My best friend hit a mattress on the interstate several weeks ago while riding home on his Trans-alp. Ruined his right knee. A really great surgeon put it back together for him, he hopes to return to work around New Years. The people who lost the mattress out of the back of their pickup truck had no insurance and don't work. His insurance picked up the bills but he is still not working and has pain and suffering. The state trooper told us and about half of the population here in Kentucky are driving without insurance. Scary.

#15 ·
this is one of the reasons our rates are so high in florida. 30% of all vehicles on our roads are uninsured. if you ask me, if you are uninsured and cannot pay for the damage you cause, you should be jailed one day for every dollar of damage. extreme? yeah. but coming from a guy that just had over $40,000 in surgeries to fix a broken ankle caused by an uninsured mother ****er, i'm sure you understand... and yeah, my health insurance covered it but my rates have gone up as a result.

#14 ·
It doesn't have to big to cause problems

While turning off a road into a parking lot I hit a black plastic garbage bag lying flat on the road. It was like an oil slick. Because I was turning at the time, the bike went right out freom under me. Ouch!

#17 ·
I can say the opposite, in NH insurance is not required, not sure the % that goes uninsured, but its high, yet out rates are among the lowest in the country and have no adult helmet or seatbelt requirement either

so when people claim that mandatory requirements will lower costs, I say a big BS, how is it we also have no broad base (sales or income) tax either

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.