StromTrooper banner

Crash Bar Vibration

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  jb1950 
#1 ·
Hello All,

I am planning to install crash bars and skid plate on my '12 VStrom 650. I have read about vibration that many have experienced, including with the Givi, which is my first choice.

I wonder if there is any news about any manufacturer acknowledging the problem and if they have provided any fixes.

On another note, I wonder about using the Happy Trails as crash protection how far do they extend, if at all, when folded, out from the bike?

Thanks for your responses...

--John

#2 ·
Solution for the stock stuff

The vibration disappears for the stock Suzuki bars if you place a rubber shim at the joint of the two bars. Been covered in this forum, and really works.

#4 · (Edited)
Hello All,

I am planning to install crash bars and skid plate on my '12 VStrom 650. I have read about vibration that many have experienced, including with the Givi, which is my first choice.

I wonder if there is any news about any manufacturer acknowledging the problem and if they have provided any fixes.

Thanks for your responses...

--John
Properly installed and tightened the Givi crash bars only adds marginally (if any) more vibrations to the bike.

I don't see this as a problem the manufacturer should acknowledge, but only as an predictable result of attaching a lightweight metal rack to the frame.

A "fix" could be to produce the crash bars out of solid rods instead of hollow tubes - but that would make them unduly heavy.

#5 ·
Thanks for responses. It appears the vibration issue is quite subjective, and greatly dependent on mounting and tightening correctly. I had crash bars on my 2009 with no vibration, and it seems to me the '12 would be no different - given nearly identical frame.

Yes, I meant Happy Trails folding highway pegs. Are they wide enough to provide any protection in a "sleeper?"

Thanks,

--John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.