StromTrooper banner

Rear Suspension - to upgrade or not

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Jarlaxle28 
#1 ·
Currently setting up a '12 Dl650 for a RTW, 2up with luggage (including camping gear). We are minimalist but still looking at the following weights; Me 85kg, wife 55kg (she says something different), about 40 kg luggage. Throw in other bike mods of about 15kgs and around 5-10kgs of consumables = 200 - 210kg of weight + bike. Plan to ride some corragated/pot holed/topes roads with minimal sand/single track/mud action (I did say plan!)
Question: will the stock set up on the bike hold up? If not, what will fail? What mods are recommended and when? Keep in mind that my money tree has yet to flower (the salesman promised!)
Cheers
Mark

#3 ·
2012 isn't too bad, I did replace mine, but I suspect it's the old DL 1000 shock, a LOT better than the old DL 650 shock.

As said, minimum a spring change which will probably avoid physical damage to the bike.

Front suspension is mostly O.K. but I'd advise a fork brace even so. The least expensive is also the best ;)

Pere

#4 ·
Got the fork brace (highly recommended BTW). If the only mod is the spring then simply replace it with a harder spring? How will this effect the dampening of the stock shock absorber? Basically is this just moving the problem. I know that shit happens and things break, the challenge is to pospone/avoid serious breakdown in 'uncomfortable' circumstances.
Cheers
Mark

#5 ·
I am not sure about the compatibility with the 2012 model, but a good cost-effective alternative may be to replace your rear shock with one from a DL1000, which are usually not too hard to find used. It will give you a higher load rating. This may not be the best option, but it may be the most cost efficient.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.