StromTrooper banner

Christmas 2012, Overnighter in Urbenville

17K views 134 replies 34 participants last post by  Red Neddy 
#1 · (Edited)
This particular first entry will be updated as the thread evolves with all the essential info so you don't have to troll through all the pages to find out what's what, who's coming and all that.

Christmas Overnighter, Sat-Sun, Dec 8-9, at BrettStrom's place, 395 Beaury Creek Road, Urbenville, NSW. Google Map if coming from the south. True to the method of numbering rural properties it is 3.95 kms from the nearest main intersection (on Toloom Rd.) Or, as Brett describes it: "From the top of Beaury Creek Road VIA Woodenbong, I am approximately 7kms past the Leuvka 4x4 park turn-off. Otherwise, from Urbenville, turn right at the State School follow the bitumen to a T intersection which is dirt, turn left, ride approximately 2kms." Map of direct path from Urbenville HERE.

Brett & Diana have kindly offered the use of their property. Their home ph is 02 6634 1466. No mobile reception (not sure if that includes Telstra).

Dinner will be at the nearby Urbenville Pub (7 kms). Menu - see attached pic below - lamb, pork, + apple pie & ice cream etc. If you have special dietry requirements please contact Diane or Brett asap so they can work with Daryl to meet your needs.
We can use Daryl's (publican) van to taxi back 'n forth. Late night bon-fire at Brett's. Sunday breakfast BBQ, $5

Bring along partners, and open to non-VStroms, too. We had a lovely time at Chef's last year and Lions Road in May and if we can have a similar atmosphere again that'll be great.

There are many great rides in the area, both on-road and off-road. Chef is leading an off-road ride. Volunteer needed to lead a road ride. PM SteveC for route suggestions and group-ride notes.

Fuel up bikes at either Woodenbong or Urbenville and grab ice before arriving at the property. QLD'ers will lose an hour crossing the border (NSW on daylight saving time).

Coming:
BNE & north
bookamj (Maurice J)..... black widow (Gary) + Hiew
Whoppa......................Gotawee (Ang)
VMan (Hugh DL1000).....theblackwiggle
Dee Ell (Geoff).............Thunderdownunder (Alec)

Gold Coast
SteveC (SuzyVStrom)....Peter Oneoff + Lucy
Mustang (Trevor)..........RTLiney (Stu) + Simone (maybe)
Red Neddy (Ken)...........Skip + Cheryl (Honda Varadero)
Dave Misfud (BMW)........Mark (Tenere 660) & wife Sarah (XR400)
Sandman61 (Chris)

Northern NSW
BrettStrom + Diane.......Chef + Sita + Charlotte + baby Owen
Rabbitoh64 + Liz

Southerners
wobbly_boot...............230Rocket (Dean)
Strongarm (Ian)..........Darren Kavanagh + wife Cindy

Maybe:
Huggo (Graham).......... The Phantom (Maurice-Mozza)
PeteW....................... Mark R (BNE blue strom) + wife & 2 young-stroms.
Soups (Chris).............. Mal & Karen (GC Suzuki)
BB63 (Brian)............... Howie (BMW 1200 GS)

Can't make it:
Honez.................... Tweed Strom (the other SteveC)
Livo....................... Buzz & Maureen
Pais (Paul).............. MacGuyver & Sam
Gino (BMW)............. AceRider + Jo Jo & baby Savanah
Vchops................... Vstromrcflyer (Mike)
Penguineer.............. Aussie Guy (Brendon)

Waiting to hear from: (have I missed anyone? Spread the word. Contact these guys if you know them. Would be great to have everyone there.)
Rod S.................BrizzyMark + Fran
Rod B.................Dave ToeCutter
Ian W.................
Leon R (BMW)......Woz (Elefant) + Lenny
Brissy (Anthony)...Rado (Tenere)

MENU (pic attached)

Attachments

See less See more
#118 · (Edited)
Road conditions

I have attached a PDF from Kyogle Council about their Road works.

The upper part of the Summerland Way between Dairy Flat and the T junction with Mt Lindsay Hwy has suffered some damage due to the heat over the last week or so and they have placed a type of sand over parts of the road.

Be careful, also there are some long cracks in this part of the road as well. I followed a bike up there yesterday and he touched one of these cracks with his front tyre and I thought it was going to buck him off, he managed to hang on just, this crack was reasonably wide and may swallow lesser bikes.

VStroms will be fine.

I will catch up with Daryl today and may arrange the pick up a bit later after experiencing yesterday afternoon down at the camp. Will angle for 6:15 or there abouts NSW time.

Enjoy the ride and ride safe

Cheers

Attachments

#119 ·
Urbenville Weather

Woke up to a cool morning, over cast sky chance of rain later in the day. Approximate top of 28/29 degree. Great riding weather.

Darren and Cindy arrived yesterday afternoon.

Have a safe ride down or up today.

Cheers

#121 · (Edited)
That was fun :)

Yes, it rained, but no one cared.

Thanks very much Brett.

Pete

For those who were asking about the bags on my crash bars with the wet weather gear in them. (hopefully someone took pics ).

Ebay - search for "bicycle frame bag", there are a lot of hits, but the ones I got were on the first page ~$6. There are other styles and colours available. Just double check the size and where the mounting straps are. pm me if you want a direct link, but that should be enough info.

FYI: Not my idea, got it from a friend with a 990, those things have very little storage space so this was a godsend for him.

Pete

#123 ·
What a great weekend....being reaquainted with many of the great Strom folks from the Bingara trip. Also good to see Strongarm come too.

A big thankyou to Brett and his family for organising the weekend party and for Daryl
Doing the ferrying in the bus among other things.

Wishing everyone a Merry & Safe Christmas and a happy new year.

Cheers

Wobbly boot

Dave

#124 ·
Weekend at Brettstrom's

Thanks Brett for all the work you did organising the weekend, I had a great time. Cheers Chris

#125 ·
Would like to say a BIG THANK YOU to Brett and family for all the effort they put in for a great weekend. :hurray:
It was good to catch up with everyone and meet some new fellow riders.
Will post some pics soon.

Merry Christmas to everyone and have a Happy and safe New Year.

Catch up to some of you in Tassie 2013. :yesnod:

Cheers Gotawee

#127 ·
Some pics from the weekend, I was a little bit slack this weekend and only took 51 photo's heres a couple

The THRONE ROOM.
Sorry never thought to take a photo of the THRONE itself, what a corker

No trick photography here the tent really is that big. It was Alec's (Thunderdownunder) V-STROM HILTON :yikes:

The Kitchen

All set up in Brett's Paddock

Mark?, Dave, Geoff and Ian

Sparkles new screen and my new tent

Dave, Steve and Howard arriving

The boys (Chris?, Ken and Pete) having a chinwag

Brett Jnr on his trailbike

The Birthday Boy Steve's Card and Cake

half the group round the fire

and the other half

A good weekend had by all :thumbup: :hurray:
Thanks again Brett and family

#128 · (Edited)
Tx for posting all those pics, Gotawee.

I'll add my thank you to Brett & Diana for having us all come and stay. You did an awesome job, guys, with the loo, fire, gazebo, breakfast and arranging dinner with the pub, cleanup etc.

I met up with Howard and Dave over at Chef's place in Tyalgum, on Saturday morning. Then the four us headed into Mebbin State Forest, then over the Border Ranges, stopping at the cafe on Lion's Rd. Only there 2 minutes and who's this on a white Strom? It was rabbitoh64 come to wish me a happy birthday. Tx, Wayne.

Chef & Wayne headed homeward after that, while Dave, Howard and I headed up Toonumbar Forest Rd, down Coxs Rd, and finally Glen Rd/Boomi Creek Rd into the back of Urbenville, pulling up at the Crown. A bus load of Kyogle local lads pulled up on a pub-crawl bucks party. They were already pissed as farts and gathered around the bikes saying witty things about gps's and Draggin jeans and "back when I used to ride" etc. Then another ute-load of yobbos turned up in t-shirts, shorts and thongs. Hang on, it's Chris, RedNeddy and Mustang, coming for supplies, dressed to blend in with the locals. We cleared off out of there for the last few minutes ride to Brett's farm.

When we arrived all hot and dusty, Diana took us to the local creek, but there was no running water, just a suspect looking greenish pool with ominous air bubbles breaking the surface. "That's just turtles," said Diana, "Go on, get in, you'll love it." I was thinking the garden hose would do me, but Howard jumped in, then Dave, so I thought what the hell and did the leap. It was pretty dam good afterall.

Back to the Crown for dinner where Daryl and the team had their hands full with us on top of about 150 others there for an engagement party. VMan had brought along 6 x 4l of Penrite oil which we ran a lottery for, tx VMan (bet your bike was lighter going home). And someone, I suspect Brett and Peter One-off, organised a cake and card for my 50th. Tx, guys, and thanks to all for signing it and the nice birthday wishes.

The mini-bus ride back to the farm was 'interesting' with Daryl narrowly missing a gate post then nearly mowing down the group sitting by the fire.

Sunday morning and the BBQ was sizzling with bacon, sausages and eggs. The odd fly was buzzing around and every now and then you'd see someone double over and cough up their lungs after swallowing a fly.

Mark and Sarah joined us for the ride home, down to Bonalbo then into gravel and mountains via Peacock Creek Rd to Toonumbar Dam and last bit of gravel out to Kyogle. We parted ways there. I ended up doing Mebbin State again on the way home. Went past the turnoff, but the idea of more hard top at 80 km/hr and the probability of cops and tourists did not appeal, so ... did a u-turn and took the shortcut home.

Great wkend away. Good to catch up with everyone again, and no accidents (that I know of).

Attached pic is a montage of Howard, Sarah & Mark, heading into Toonumbar Dam. Dave had raced past before I got the camera out.

Ciao

Attachments

#129 · (Edited)
Great weekend

Cheers Brett & family, we had a really good weekend. Nice property and a good camp ground. All together 17 Strom's, a Yamaha, 2 Honda's and Dave's
GS 1200.

Thanks to Howard for shouting everyone breakfast and also helping cook it. That was a nice thing to do mate, cheers.

No rain for us, we must have been lucky. It poured while we were at the pub after dinner, and that was it. Really coolish riding weather, great roads. It was up there with the best weekends I have had on the Strom.

Trevor

#130 ·
We would also like to say a big thank you to Brett, Diana and family for a great couple of days, you guys put in all the hard work and we reaped the rewards, thanks heaps. It was great to meet other Strommers and we look forward to doing it again. The Monty Python Crew would have loved some of the conversations around the fire, like Dean explaining why trains should be equipped with life jackets:what a good night! Also a big thank you to the Crown Hotel's Daryl and Amanda, what a great job.
cheers
Darren & Cindy

#132 ·
I'd like to add my sincere thanks to all those who organised a great weekend, Brett and family, Daryl and team and everyone else who welcomed another Strom rider into the fold.

I'll put a few words together from my 550km ride home which saw me arrive at Elands soaked to the skin, cold, covered in mud but elated to see my very happy family.

BFN
Deano

#133 · (Edited)
Good to meet you Dean and glad you had a good time while you were here.

It was great to catch up with everyone again and to meet some new riders. I dont think the weekend could have been any better, great weather, great food, great company and great fun.

Cheers

Thanks from the Family @ Urbenville

#134 ·
Well...finally got back home to Newcastle after a fantastic Motorcycling week.

Great to meet up with you all and once again..thanks Brett & Diane for everything you did to make the weekend a bloody good one:thumbup:

Please pass on my thanks to Daryl & Amanda too.

My poor little Strom didn't go the whole week without some war wounds:thumbdown:

On Monday arvo I was giving it a good clean up including the chain and somehow it must'nt have been sitting on the center stand properly and it rolled forward crashing down on the left side...Bugger!!:furious:

I left front blinker assembly, I clutch lever and a buggered up barend later...not to mention $95 and it was able to leave the Motorcycle Hospital in Grafton. Thanks to the guys there...they got it in straight away for me and had it ready in 3 hours:thumbup:Something is now wrong with my sidestand....very loose....

Bike went great for all the trip even though there was a decent headwind heading South today...got home in about 6 hours.
hwy patrol very active on Mid Nth Coast...seen at least 8 patrol cars working the hwy between Coffs & Taree...lots of roadwork and slowing down....oh well...I just wanted to get home...a little too tired for winding roads today.

I hope to be able to make another weekend like that....simply brilliant!!:hurray:

Cheers

wobbly_boot

#135 ·
Fantastic Weekend!

I would like to thank Brett and Di for the camping Venue:hurray:and our other hosts Darryl and Amanda for the Christmas and Party venue.The rain was cleansing as were the ales , and the ride to and from Urbenville head clearing and uplifting as it was my first weekend off after 4 weekends of work!:thumbdown:
Was nice to catch up and see a few new bees:thumbup:Thanks again Howard for breakfast:hurray:The body really appreciated it!
Have a very Merry Christmas and a safe wonderful New Year.:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.