StromTrooper banner

Do you love it?

8K views 38 replies 23 participants last post by  Joe S. 
#1 ·
I'm looking at a new wee strom and certainly see the practicality, the value and I'm impressed with the aftermarket support. I'm interested in doing more long distance touring as most of my riding is commuting, day trips and a couple multi day rides.

My concern is, I rode my dads 07 wee and didn't like it. To be honest, and I don't want to offend anyone, it felt like I was riding a sewing machine and after about 3 minutes on it all I wanted was for him to pull over so I could get back on my own bike.

Did you love to when you first rode it yours? Did it take some getting used to? Did you come off another bike and feel like you settled or have you loved it from the first ride? I'm worried I'd buy one and never "love" riding it, even though I think it's an unbeatable bike for the money. Thanks. ...Steve

#2 ·
If it didn't move you, get something else. A motorcycle is a love at first ride machine.

#3 ·
I agree, and I felt that way with my other bikes but was hopeful I'd learn to love the Wee. I've considered most other options and on paper, you can't beat the value of the Wee for the riding I want to do.

Is there much difference in the ride between the 07 and a 2012/2013?

Thanks for the advice. ...Steve

#5 ·
All I can tell you is I have had two Connies, a Goldwing, and a bunch of cruiser style bikes. Harleys and Hondas. And even a KLR 650. And this is by far the most fun bike to ride I have ever had.

For me, it was love at first ride. I bought it that day. (2012 Wee)

Bike's are a personal thing though.

Personally , you could not give me another cruiser. This style bike is the deal for me. And since I can not justify the price of a BMW, the Strom is great! :thumbup:

#6 ·
My concern is, I rode my dads 07 wee and didn't like it. To be honest, and I don't want to offend anyone, it felt like I was riding a sewing machine and after about 3 minutes on it all I wanted was for him to pull over so I could get back on my own bike.

Did you love to when you first rode it yours? Did it take some getting used to? Did you come off another bike and feel like you settled or have you loved it from the first ride? I'm worried I'd buy one and never "love" riding it, even though I think it's an unbeatable bike for the money. Thanks. ...Steve

The Wee is like riding a sewing machine... a good running Husqvarna sewing machine. :yesnod: Quiet, smooth, with nary an ill vibration. It's the anti-bike to my old 4-speed H-D Sportster, which is like riding a loud, wild kicking mule! :lol:

I rented a Wee in Switzerland 6 or 7 years ago. I first fell in love with the look of the bike. Then fell madly in love with it after I rode it. A few years later I finally got an orange '09.

The Weestrom is the bike I use with my feme covert for the long rides. The Sportster is for the other days I ride with my close friends.

I love both bikes quite equally. They serve me well. Whatever mood strikes me that day is the bike I'll ride.

Like Greywolf stated... if you don't feel it don't ride it.

#7 ·
Get a ride on another Wee, perhaps th '07 was a little off song when you rode it.

I got off an R1150GS and it was the best move I've made regarding bikes.

My '09 Wee is fantastic and hasn't had a single issue in 62,000km of touring/commuting/day rides.
:thumbup:

#8 ·
Try the new one, I have an 07 and have loved it from day 1, but it was a really well maintained bike that only had 14,000 ks on the odometer (it now has almost 30,000 after about 22 months of being with me!)

#16 ·
I don't think my dads bike is in bad shape, but he does ride it hard. I found it a little slow and the engine felt like it was doing a lot, but the bike wasn't putting out much power at highway speeds. In the spring I'll see if I can arrange a demo ride on a new one.

Can you put a finger on what you didn't like? Is it something that is an easy farkle fix or if it's that the Wee is civilized you could find a Vee to test out.

I love the Wee as a commuter and for trips around town. If I'm going to ride for a thrill or more than 100 miles I want the more visceral Vee under me.

I think everyone should have both.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle
I'll definitely keep my current bike, but am leery to buy another bike I won't enjoy as much, and not ride it. Compared to what I have, the bike just didn't seem "fun" and for me, that's the point of riding. I'm excited every time I back my bike out of the garage and want every bike I own to make me feel that way. Currently I ride a Ducati 796, well farkeled, as you guys might say. :mrgreen:

I don't think I'd want the Vee, as I'm a small guy and want it to be manageable, regardless where I take the bike.

I have the 2012 DL650 and absolutely love it, I have done over 18000km in 11 months.
That consists of day rides and road trips.

You can't beat the reliability and value for money you get with the DL as well as after market accessories.

I suggest you try the new one as a comparison to your dad's and see what you think then.
I'll definitely ride a new one in the spring and go from there. I agree it's the best all around bike, especially for what I want it for. We're planning a 13000 km ride in 2014 from Calgary to Cancun and back and my bike isn't the best choice. I love it, but for that long on the road, and the roads we'll come across, I want the comfort, reliability and repairability of the wee. I don't think the naked Monster will enjoy the Mexican roads very much. :thumbdown:

#9 ·
Can you put a finger on what you didn't like? Is it something that is an easy farkle fix or if it's that the Wee is civilized you could find a Vee to test out.

I love the Wee as a commuter and for trips around town. If I'm going to ride for a thrill or more than 100 miles I want the more visceral Vee under me.

I think everyone should have both.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

#10 ·
I have the 2012 DL650 and absolutely love it, I have done over 18000km in 11 months.
That consists of day rides and road trips.

You can't beat the reliability and value for money you get with the DL as well as after market accessories.

I suggest you try the new one as a comparison to your dad's and see what you think then.

#11 ·
do you love it?

totally agree with orange sunrises' post, i've often compared my wee engine to a sewing machine regarding it's sound (a result of smooth, precise rpm with relatively effortless increase ? ), advice to perspective rider; get the wee up to 7000 rpm in 6th, now what's it sound like ?,

#12 ·
advice to perspective rider; get the wee up to 7000 rpm in 6th, now what's it sound like ?,
Whatever it is, the siren will drown it out.:mrgreen:

#13 ·
sewing machine?

my EX250 sounded like a sewing machine - the Wee purrs like a big cat - one of the best things about it

#14 ·
I love my wee, but this love affair took over a year and a fair bit of farkling to bring it to fruition. After the first year of owning my wee, I was ready to trade it in on something with more power and better off-road performance. After adding some farkles to improve off-road performance and learning to accept its limitations, I am very happy with it. I still wish it mad more ponies under the tank, but this is a small complaint for such a nice bike.

#15 ·
I'm looking at a new wee strom and certainly see the practicality, the value and I'm impressed with the aftermarket support. I'm interested in doing more long distance touring as most of my riding is commuting, day trips and a couple multi day rides.

...Steve
Am I reading this right? your making judgement from the passenger seat. Take the bike out alone for a day and then decide.

#17 ·
I was riding his bike and he was riding my Duc. Since he was in front of me, I was at his mercy to pull over to trade back. I spent about 30 minutes on the Wee through the mountains before we swapped back.

He is going in for shoulder surgery in two weeks and won't be riding in the spring so I'll have his bike for a longer test and I'll give it a thousand kilometers to see what I really think, and will for sure test ride a new one.

Thanks all for the advice, and if there's anything else you can think of that may help me decide, feel free to share.

Also, any mods that are a must? I'd likely start with a new 2012 or 2013 Adventure package. ...Steve

Edit. Here's what I'm on now.

#18 ·
The Wee must seem positively GIGANTIC compared to your monster. I remember my first Wee test drive, and thought it was a BIG bike, regardless of the engine displacement. But, one trip down the road had me sold - it was love at first ride. I really liked being way up high, eye to eye with all the pickup truck drivers, and the roomy upright riding position was revelatory, when compared to my kawa sport bike......

You may not get there, but give it a try while your dad is off the bike, you may find it hard to go back to your little bike.

#19 ·
It did seem very big and I wasn't a fan of the way it handled but I've been a motocross guy all my life and have always ridden small, light sport bikes on the road. The Wee was a big change from that. I do love the Monster though. It's light, quick, handles well and is amazing in the city. I like it on the highway too and it actually loads up and tours nice, but I'd like a windshield and a more comfortable riding position. I'll keep the Ducati forever though, regardless of what bike I buy next.

#20 ·
For me it's RIDING not which bike I ride!!.If I was broke I would rather have the cheapest ( good running ) any brand bike than a car.Sure I like some bikes more than others but the ride is more important.
Thats why I wave to everybody on 2 and 3 wheels,it's all about them riding !!.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

#21 ·
My question isn't about riding or not riding. I already know that I'll always have a bike, I just want to make sure I make the best choice on which bike I buy next. It's not about money, looks, flash or style. It's about finding a bike that makes me excited to get on it every time I have the chance.

#26 ·
some people like bikes as smooth as a sewing machine and some dont. The wee is that smooth, if you done like it then get Vee. The 1000 is NOT that smooth.

I know many on here say the wee is much easier to handle and ride due to the lower center of gravity. From the little amount of time I have been on a wee.... I don't see that big of a difference. Its there but its not a big deal, I feel the difference is exaggerated. The Vee handle just fine anywhere the wee does for me personally.

Ride one, then you will know
If you dont like either then take a look at a kawasaki versys 650. Those are nice capable bikes as well.

#28 ·
Yeah it was love at first ride for me. I wasn't even looking for a bike, been off bikes for 20 years or so. Got offered a test ride and a good deal so the rest is history. That was before I knew anything about the bike , this sight, or anything else about the wee. That was five years ago now and I love it as much or more now.I ride almost daily and year around. If I was you I'd look, there are alot of different bikes out there I'm sure you'd find true love.:yesnod:

#33 ·
I think a good relationship with a bike can take time,
In 84 I bought a BMW R80GS PD.At first I hated the thing,just didn't feel right.Sold it 10 years later and wish I still had it today.
Now I'm having a little of the same with the Wee 2,six months down the track and its growing on me.If I had to clear the shed I think the 08 KLR could be the last to go-------------maybe:confused:

#34 ·
I think what I see here is someone who needs the bike to offer some excitement. I totally get this and divide them into bikes that give you a woody and everything else.
To me, a 650 strom does not offer a woody. I view it as a tool,when I use it the bike is about where it takes me, in this case rough backroads, dirt roads and such.
Now,to contrast I also have a 1050 Tiger which can fulfill much of this and I see as a wood producer. Power is a part of it but so is better attention to detail and a nicer finish,just plain more bike.
I think one never knows what will give wood but it sounds like the 650 aint it. Maybe check out similar rides like an 800 Tiger or a Versys, maybe even a multistrada.

#35 ·
I am looking for the bike to be a part of the fun. I enjoy having a bike that I love to ride, enjoy fiddling with in the garage and even just like to see it sitting in the garage. The pride of ownership in a bike you love is something I don't want to lose with a new bike.

My next decision is whether my money is better spent on a new Wee or a used 800GS. Not sure yet which is the better bike for the money until I do some shopping. Would I be better to spend $8K on the Wee or a similar priced BMW? I guess more reading, some test rides and price shopping will answer that one. I've seen some decent GS's all decked out in the same range as a new Wee. ...Steve

#37 ·
You cannot budget excitement.

You may not know it now, but this is what you really want:

#39 ·
Damn right I want her. The bike she is sitting on is okay too.:hurray:

That's why you don't like the wee... you're not "there" in life yet... I have long since left behind the need for warp speed and race track handling.... I am in the adventure stage of my life... The Glee is my next bike hands down...:thumbup:
Does being "there" in life mean you don't get wood anymore? I sure don't want to be "there".:green_lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.