StromTrooper banner

Wee/Vee mandatory upgrades & farkles

6K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  motocbiker 
#1 ·
Think'n maybe going from my trusty DR to a DL, the bike will definately be purchased used, so... if guy was to decide to buy a used DL what would be some of the must have upgrades/mods/farkels he should be look'n for ??

Not reflective tape or a blink'n tail light but the upgrades/mods that replace/repair things that bike shouldve came with from the factory but they were to cheap to do correctly.

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
mandatory farkles

Think'n maybe going from my trusty DR to a DL,

IS THERE A $$$ REASON FOR ONE OR THE OTHER???

I HAVE 1 OF EACH...(WEE & DR350)

the bike will definately be purchased used,

ANY SKOOTER PURCHASE IS BEST MADE FOR A USED UNIT, LETTING SOMEONE ELSE TAKE THE DEPRECIATION HIT

so... if guy was to decide to buy a used DL what would be some of the must have upgrades/mods/farkels he should be look'n for ??

THEY COME FROM THE FACTORY WITHOUT GASOLINE, WHICH IS THE MOST IMPORTANT ITEM YOU CAN ADD TO ONE(ALONG W/ OIL, ANTIFREEZE & GOOD SNEAKERS)

Not reflective tape or a blink'n tail light but the upgrades/mods that replace/repair things that bike shouldve came with from the factory but they were to cheap to do correctly.

ALL THE OTHER STUFF THAT I HAVE ON MINE(ENGINE GUARDS, SKID PAN, CUSTOM SEAT, OVERSIZED TAIL RACK, SIDE RACKS, CENTER STAND, ROX BAR RISERS, STEBEL HORN...) WERE ITEMS THAT EITHER MADE HER MORE COMFORTABLE OR SAFER, IMHO

Thanks in advance.

YOU'RE WELCOME

sw

#3 ·
Seat that feels good to you
Windscreen that works for you
Fork brace
Fork springs that suit your loaded riding weight
Headlight relay to take the headlight current away from the start switch contacts

Upgraded fork damping
Upgraded shock

Nothing on the engine. People do stuff, but only ordinary maintenance is needed.

#4 ·
The only thing I feel Suzuki should have included is a centerstand.

The rest of the stuff can be determined by the owner with the possible exception of the fork brace and headlight relay.

You may think the seat is a blessing from the motorcycle gods and the suspension is okay for a while.

#6 ·
A few more miles on the odometer is about it :thumbup:

every body will have different opinion on upgrades you need. Best thing to do is buy one and put a few miles on it and see what works for you because everybody will be different.

Unlike a Kawasaki KLR 650 which NEEDs the doohickey and a few other parts prone to breaking a V-Stroms NEED nothing to be a good dependable bike IMO.

Like was mentioned above the only thing that should have been on the bike from the factory that most people will want is the center stand. If you buy a used bike then more than likely it will already have one installed. From what I have seen most V-Stroms get a center stand within the first couple thousand miles of there life.

#8 ·
Thanks for the input gents, & Swoody...Dig'n the humor, killer answers man.

I kind of figured they advice would vary, as said its a personal kind fo thing, LESS FILLING !!!! TASTE GREAT !!!!, I thought ther mite be some issues that really needed to be attended to.

My DR, I love my DR (650):thumbup:, its a hard bike to beat, about as close (IMO) as the perfect do it all bike, & you dont have to cash in your 401K to fund it, I just wanted something a little more roadish, debate'n on go'n back to school & thought it would be a great commuter bike.

Actualy it sounds very simaler to the DR as far as upgrades, du huh, go figure.

#9 ·
¿ FARKLES ?

as i perused the suggestions, 1 item kept resurfacing

the headlight relay

as i now know, the electjuicity 4 the d...n headlights runs thru the starter button/switch

i also now know that d...n thing is a WEAK LINK!!!

there are 2 LITTLE TINY bumplettes, in there, that rub back n forth on 2 pair of little flat contacts EVERY TIME YOU START THE ENGINE

once released, the starter button carries the power for the headlights

last spring, just south of BAYOU LA BATRE, AL, my starter hesitated & i thought it was the battery, BUT I WAS MISTAKEN

since i didn't know what was really happening, i bought a new AGM battery @ the local AUTOZONE(really nice folks, w/ lotsa options in the m/c battery line)

i thought the problem was solved, until i lost my headlights, going thru downtown houston @ dusk, during the LONE STAR RALLY

when i got back to the motel i got on the STROMTROOPER FORUM & in short order found out what my problem really was

THE STARTER BUTTON/SWITCH

i now know there is a relay kit out there that routes the electjuicity around the problem button & there will soon be one of those kits installed on my WEE

i'm thinkin this doesn't fall under the FARKLE category

it falls under the safety/dependability category

& had i known about the importance of this FIX b4 i took off to KEY WEST, i would be $30 ahead of the game($95 battery - $65 kit = $30 still in my pocket)

btw: there is a simple fix for the problem & it doesn't co$t anything but about an hour of your time & it works, for a while...

have fun outfitting your new skoot

i know you will enjoy riding it

shiny side up

sw

#14 · (Edited)
as i perused the suggestions, 1 item kept resurfacing

the headlight relay

as i now know, the electjuicity 4 the d...n headlights runs thru the starter button/switch

i also now know that d...n thing is a WEAK LINK!!!

there are 2 LITTLE TINY bumplettes, in there, that rub back n forth on 2 pair of little flat contacts EVERY TIME YOU START THE ENGINE

once released, the starter button carries the power for the headlights
And for all of that I think it was over 100,000 miles and five years before I had even a hint of issue with the starter switch on my 2006; and when it did become an issue and I had to bump start it a couple of times I cleaned the switch and the problem went away. So a relay might be a nice bit of pro-active farkeling but I would hardly say it is a big deal.

..Tom

#11 ·
I installed HID headlights so the relay install is not needed and the lights are great for night riding. Crash guards are next, the center stand would have been next but I lowered the bike and won't work well without mods.

#13 ·
The first thing for me is to find a DL with ABS. I traded a good '04 for an equally good '07 just to get the ABS brakes. I recently rode a DL without ABS on a mud-slicked paved road, and felt the tires sliding under me when I had to brake hard. No drama that time, but I think it is smart to have ABS.

Next, find a seat that fits your backside (the stock seat was only good for 2 hours for me, and the Spencer mod good for only 3 hours). I had a seat built for me by Rich's Custom Seats, and it is great. Also, find a windscreen that give you the protection you need without buffeting.

Set up the suspension for your loaded riding weight. The bike absolutely needs different springs depending on whether you weigh 120# or 300# or somewhere in between.

#18 · (Edited)
In this order:
_ABS
_Rox risers , TRW enduro handlebar and 1" lift up bone. Taht combination finlay gives me perfect riding position and makes DL totaly different bike.
_Crash bars
_Madstad bracket
_Skid plate
_Hand protectors

It is also usefull to have next:
_water radiator protector
_Sidestand extender
_12V power socket
_mirros extenders
_gear indicator
_Fender extender
_Central stand
_Light off switch
_Aux day lights and relayed main lights and fuse box
_Heated grips
_Gel or custom seat

But the first six is must have farkles, and I canged my K5 to K8 Wee because of ABS!

Didn't mention fork brace, because I have it and don't feel any difference.

I don't have opinion about suspension upgrade because didn't try it.
(It is very expensive and I think the stock is good for me, or maybe not?).

#19 ·
I don't have opinion about suspension upgrade because didn't try it.
The harder you ride, or the rougher the terrain, or, if you REALLY have to have the bike handle well in an emergency, the more suspension upgrades help. I have Inertia valves in the front end of my new 2012 (less than 200.00), with an Inertia Valved rear shock on the way. But, I used to ride very rough desert terrain. I'm settling down to more sane riding, but, I'll still be going off-road a bit.

Great lists above, folks! I appreciate that!

#20 ·
You are going to buy a used DL. Likely it will be pre-2012 and I cannot address specific items for it-
-except one. Get a fork brace.
Then ride it a while and see what areas need improving for the way and where you ride. No point in spending money to have something your riding style does not require. Better to spend the bucks on things that are better for you.

#21 ·
I agree with many here on SUGGESTIONS...but I too feel that nothing is necessary to fix or add as the bike is fine stock. I rode my K7 wee for almost a year before really doing anything to it. Most of what I have done was for comfort!!

My suggestions for starters are:
-Fork Brace (totally worth the cheap price)
-Guards and Skid plate (just to protect the important stuff)

Everything else will be personal and be made to your liking. I feel a MadStad bracket is a waste of money because I have tried a lot of combinations and I ride with the stock windshield and stock bracket and it's perfect for me. A trunk just adds really nice storage and carrying space for running around and everyday use. Hand guards added comfort by reducing wind on my hands and keeping them warmer.

I've done other stuff, but it's all personal preference and doesn't really pertain to the rest of the thread :mrgreen:

#22 ·
+1 gas is all it really needs.
good engine guards help. I should have bought them a paint job earlier.
Depending on your size, stiffened fork.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.