StromTrooper banner

Suzuki key code: where do I find it?

48K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  booghotfoot 
#1 ·
I know that there's some kind of letter-number combo key code that I can give to a dealer or the right locksmith (who can cut MC keys) to make a replacement key for me if I ever lose both of mine (or lose the one I have while on the road).

I figured I should put this code in multiple places where I might need it, like on my phone or even tattooed onto the back of my hand :p. But where is it? I thought it might be stamped onto the key itself, but I don't see it.

If it was on a little piece of paper stuck into the various papers I got when I bought the bike, ... uh-oh.

#2 ·
If it was on a little piece of paper stuck into the various papers I got when I bought the bike, ... uh-oh.
Yeah, I put that paper in my wallet when the dealer gave it to me. As far as I've heard, that's the only place you find it other than the plastic tag that came with your keys.

#4 ·
I had a replacement key made at a dealer, and this is the first I heard of this code. It must not be too important.

#7 ·
That's sort of good to know. What'd they make the key off of then? The VIN plus you showing the registration doc in your name (with driver's license)? (The VIN of course being stamped on the outside of the frame would not be a very good basis for cutting ignition keys)

#6 ·
A new key can be made from the code or an old key.

#8 ·
Can they tell me the code from an old key? My fear here is losing my key while on the road, the remaining keys I may have at home won't do me any good in that scenario. It'd be great if a dealer or 24 hour locksmith could cut me a key on the spot with the code.

I dropped my keys while getting them out of my jacket pocket this weekend and they almost fell down a storm drain (especially when I tried to step on them to keep them from sliding away and nearly kicked them right into it). So this was something I promised myself I'd look into ASAP.

#9 ·
As long as you have a spare key, you're fine. Carry a spare key in a different place from the main key. I doubt if the code can be retrieved from a key but that's just a guess. I used to carry a spare key taped inside the fairing where it could be felt but not seen. Now I just carry spare keys in a pants pocket and the main keys in my jacket. A locksmith can also cut a new key, maybe cheaper than a dealer.

#10 ·
I carry a spare key zip-tied under the fairing where it cannot be seen.
Had an extra made at Ace Hardware from the factory key. The Ace key used a Suzuki compatible blank. The shank was too long to allow it to fit down into the ignition but 3-4 min. on the grinder fixed that. Seems it was 4 bucks or so.

#11 ·
The code comes on a black plastic piece that went on the original key ring with two keys.

I made it a point to write the number down inside of the owners manual. The OM tells you to write all the numbers down even the VIN. Read the manual and do what it says (for the most part)!

#12 ·
The "key code" is simply a code that tells the key cutting machine where, how deep, how wide, etc. to make the cuts. Purely mechanical. If you have a key in hand, anyone that has the correct blank can take your current key and use it as a pattern to cut the exact same pattern into the blank. So if you walk in with the code, that tells them how to make the cuts, if you walk in with a key, they just trace the cuts onto the new blank.

Not to be confused with "coded or chip" keys that all automobiles and some motorcycles have. In addition to the correct mechanical pattern being cut into the key the internal electronics have to be "learned" by the car or motorcycle. Most of these chip vehicles allow you to make an extra key work by using the two original keys that are already correctly programmed. If you have lost a key and have only one. it MUST be reprogrammed by a dealer with a special tool. This is kept very secure, you can imagine how a car thief might like to own one!

While I think I read the European versions of the 2012 DL 650 have a "chip or coded" key, the North American units do not?

#18 ·
In most cases, you do not need to go to a dealer to have a spare key reprogrammed (at least for a car). Just youtube instructions for programming your remote, and you'll get a video showing the weird series of steps that are needed.

You will need an original key for the steps to work, but if you just follow the instructions, it works. I've done it with Suburu and Toyota keys and fobs.

Don't spend $200 at the dealership.

#13 ·
Right. North American Glees do not have chipped keys. No other V-Strom except the Glee anywhere has them.

#14 ·
I see - yes, I thought our keys were chipped. Unchipped keys are easier (cheaper) to deal with for extras. Thanks to all for the info!

I may have written the key code in my OM when I first got the bike over 9 months ago now, I will have to check! I did record the VIN so hopefully I jotted it down at the same time as instructed.

#15 ·
Key Codes and spare keys

Another option is to take a couple of photos of the key and keep them on your phone/camera and on a computer that some-one could email the images to a locksmith shop to get a copy made, as not all shops have the code books to decipher the codes anyway.
Whenever I rent a car I usually take a photo of the key just in case I lose it.

I have made keys from a faxed copy of the key when the original is not available on several occasions, so a photo should work well enough in a pinch.

Using a Zap Strap to attached a spare key to the bike is a good idea as well, just don't forget to Zap Strap a knife to the bike as well so you can cut the key free when you need it.:green_lol:

#16 ·
The locksmith kiosk in the shopping center made these for me, one fits in my wallet, another on my key ring. I found the stock key, with their gigantic plastic handle and blade to be too big to carry around for everyday riding. I zip tied keys for my Givi luggage under the seat. If I lose my key on a trip, the spare ignition is in my wallet, that gets me under the seat to access the spare luggage key. They cost about $4 each, and some time to grind the shank down a bit so it would fit deep enough into the ingnition module to turn.

#17 ·
Good idea here about zipping the keys in a hidden place. I am lucky though, I keep a spare set of ignition and luggage keys in my Givi saddlebags. I have the E41 keyless hard bags so my keys are easily retrieved by entering the combination to the small door on my bag that contains the keys and reaching in and pulling the keys loose from where I have duct taped them inside the bag. Problem solved for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.