StromTrooper banner

2012 vStrom 650 niggles...

37K views 102 replies 69 participants last post by  PeteW 
#1 ·
Well, it's been long enough now. We've lived with the bike long enough that the infatuation period is coming to an end. In this time, I'm sure that most of us have come up with a couple little things on our bikes and we would like to see changed. I'm not talking about changes that would require a major redesign, but just the little issues that it would be nice to see Suzuki address.

I'll start with a couple of mine:

kickstand -- the kick stand is not extend far enough forward. Parking on the very slightest of incline, is enough for the bike to roll off the side stand.

rear rack -- the finish is terrible, after just a six week tour, cam straps are wearing to the finish and exposing the white plastic. If they could not put a durable finish on the rack, they should have at least made the underlying plastic black. Also, it could use a few more places to run a strap through.

instrument BG -- The instrument panel would be easier to read it for were on a yellow background like that of my Suunto watch.

I have some more, but I'd like to hear about the little nuisances that other people would like to see changed.

yellow lcg bg:

See less See more
#74 ·
Horn too

I have decided against a louder horn in case I scare myself to death when cancelling the turn signal.

The access to the air filter is too time consuming.

The tank and side panels are fiddly when trying to remove them.

A real Adventure model should have a wire/spoked 21inch front wheel and 18 inch rear, and better quality longer travel suspension at both ends. ( Dreaming; I know!)

Lower first gear and slightly higher 6th gear ratios.

#76 ·
Speedo

I went from first page to last here, so please pardon me if somebody already mentioned this. This is true on many bikes, not just ours. The friggin speedo is so far off as to be almost useless! Speedometer should read very close to exact so we can know we're not going too slow for prevailing traffic. It can't be that hard to get a friggin' speed right! When I have the gps mounted I just refer to that. Can you tell I'm friggin' aggrivated!! lol Whew, now I feel better. Ride safe, all. :)
gary

#77 ·
1) As others have mentioned testicular tuckage is a serious problem, but it's a problem I've had with all of my bikes so it's not really something specific to my Strom.

2) My knobby knees end up pressed against the gap between the plastics and the frame, which is quite uncomfortable.

3) The handlebars are too far forward for me and the small amount of adjustment isn't enough. I'll have to pick up some bar risers eventually.

4) No built-in waterproof storage. Not as much of a problem now that I have a top case and side cases.

5) Buffeting, but I more-or-less fixed this by replacing the windscreen and mirrors.

6) Having to fix front-end rattles which occoured around 5,000 rpm. Turned out to be the support brackets for the gas tank.

I'm sure there are others, but, hey I still love riding my bike! So much more power and presence than my previous rides. :)

#78 ·
Overall I really like my DL650A despite coming from a R1200RT. The handling and ride is great for what I need. My biggest gripe is the color. I have the black Adventure model and it's just too much black for me. I've seen a few threads on changing the color but I don't want to paint my panels nor do I want to buy a duplicate set, so I guess I will live with the black. If I was to change the color, I think I'd make it that Venom Yellow color (or similar) that they used on the 2012 Triumph Tiger 800.

One more thing, I don't think anyone mentioned the vibration at 4700 RPM!

#80 ·
My biggest gripe is the color. I have the black Adventure model and it's just too much black for me. I've seen a few threads on changing the color but I don't want to paint my panels nor do I want to buy a duplicate set, so I guess I will live with the black. If I was to change the color, I think I'd make it that Venom Yellow color (or similar) that they used on the 2012 Triumph Tiger 800.
Just trade with Greywolf.....:what:

#79 ·
The vibration at 4700rpm can often be handled by a bit of rubber between the front joint of the accessory bars/engine guards. The bars were even withdrawn from sale in the UK because of the way they amplify vibration.

#83 ·
I saw your yellow Wee on another post and I think it looks great. Not quite close enough for me. I like the metallic flake and the slight green tint on the Venom Yellow. Not sure why, maybe just because it's different. Looks much better in person than in that photo. I just don't want to paint my stock panels. I'm afraid others won't share my enthusiasm with another color and when I try to sell it I will have a problem. I tend to switch bikes every couple years when I get bored.

#84 ·
I just saw this thread. I read the first page, then skipped to the last page - so if this is a repeat - sue me.

the buzzy spot at about 4700 rpm. It annoys me more every time I ride the bike. I guess I will eventually ditch the crash bars and add some SV Racing sliders. I just have other things I would prefer to spend $$$ on. A small complaint, really.

the power - the best thing I can say about it is "adequate". It gets the job done. I passed a couple of cars on a short straight this morning, 6th gear, no downshift. It gets the job done, if the only thing you are concerned about is executing the pass. If, on the other hand, you want the bike to execute the pass and make you scream "yeehaw!", you will be slightly disappointed. I do like my gas mileage, though.

#86 ·
the power - the best thing I can say about it is "adequate". It gets the job done. I passed a couple of cars on a short straight this morning, 6th gear, no downshift. It gets the job done, if the only thing you are concerned about is executing the pass. If, on the other hand, you want the bike to execute the pass and make you scream "yeehaw!", you will be slightly disappointed. I do like my gas mileage, though.
Try downshifting it when passing. The redline's at 10,000 rpm. Use it.

..Tom

#87 ·
Near 2 months and 2300 miles in:

1) Transmission will get lost in between gears if I don't downshift properly coming up to a stop.

2) Brights indicator is kid of bright. a piece of Scotch tape should fix that.

3)The luggage rack could be a little wider and the holes a little bigger. I can't always find a good spot to attach a bungee or pass a strap through.

4) Luggage stand-off, oil filter protection and center stand should be standard. well, maybe not "should". But it'd certainly be appreciated.

5) An accurate speedometer, please. I mean, once you're up to interstate speed it's really not even close.

6) My temp gauge is anywhere from 5 to 10 degrees off at times.

7) Ever so slight fueling hiccups under light throttle with the bike not warmed up yet. Seems more noticeable on cooler mornings (60-65f).

8.) I didn't buy one sooner. :green_lol: So far, it's been great. The bike just works. Yeah, it could be better but on a dollar for dollar comparison I'd be hard pressed to name another bike that does a little bit of everything as well as the V-strom.

#88 ·
I hit the horn too often :) added peg lowering kit and now my knees love me again... but dang! I hate the saddle! Am dreading the $ I have to spend to get something I can sit on all day long.

#99 ·
I agree, this would be a tremendous help in rough terrain. Ideally, it would be locked out most of the time, but when you need it, press a small lever and shift into super low.

the gearbox should have been a hair wider to offer better freeway rpms and to creep around in trails in 1st without clutching it to death.
Agreed, all the first four gears could be significantly lower, especially 1st. Then 4, 3 and 2 getting progressively lower with 1st being quite a bit lower, at least 15 % lower. Finally, make 6th a tad higher than it already is maybe 5-7% higher.

#90 ·
The seat. It's great for around town but after a couple of hours it becomes pretty tedious. I think I'm going to give the Saddlemen a try and see if it works. If not, I'll send my stock seat off for a Russell day long seat.

I too had the 4700 rpm buzz but adding the Enduro Guardian skid plate seems to have fixed that issue. I now have a new buzz at around 5500 which I think is coming from the highway pegs. You can't really feel it but you can hear it. I'm going to try adding some rubber bushing to the mounting bolts to see if that will fix that.

Being my first bike I have no real experience to judge but the bike to me anyway feels a little "light" on the interstate. Not the bike's fault but I feel like something heavier would inspire more confidence at 80 mph. More experience may indeed change my mind in this matter.

Love this bike and I love riding it!

#92 ·
Niggles

So far two niggles, after 400 miles on my new bike:

- In hot weather (Texas summer), the seat does not breath and get sweaty thighs and crotch, on one ride got a case of "Schweddy balls" coming on. I added my sheepskin, seems to help provide some breathability and its better. When I was riding in jeans, getting all "Schweddy" it was burning! Of course jeans are a bad idea, will stick to my vented Tourmaster pants.

- Anyone notice if clock is not keeping accurate time? I swear I set it but now its about 30 mins fast...I will re-set and keep an eye on it.

#93 ·
pretty minor issues ive come up with in 4000 miles.
the gearbox should have been a hair wider to offer better freeway rpms and to creep around in trails in 1st without clutching it to death.

forks could have been a bit beefier or at least inverted, they have a bit more flex than i like to see.

the preload adjustment is just tiny compared to everything ive ever owned before (dirtbikes) the 5/8" in the rear just isnt enough to jump between 1 up and two up on anything but smooth streets

and just because i sit tall i catch a lot of buffeting with the windshield at its highest setting.

those arent really even gripes about it, just minor things Ive noticed coming from an almost exclusively dirt/dualsport background

#95 ·
After 8000 miles in 14 days of riding

Seat - no support for me. Swapped before leaving.

Brakes - hate their unholy mix of spongy, no feel and no bite. I'm used to 2 finger braking.

Windshield - air movement was okay, I hate that I need tools to clean behind it. The captured spacers are also a PITA.

Regarding the engine, I'm coming from a decade of liter street bikes. It's a good engine with great fueling. I simply drop two gears when I need more umph

#96 ·
Just over a year and about 11,000 miles.
Here are mine:

Windscreen noise

The seat packed in at about 8k miles

The stock handlebar has too much sweep

The injection molded plastic is very soft, it scratches easy and the grain of the pebble finish is too deep, it's hard to keep clean as it pulls the lint off the rag.
And it's a magnet for that schmutz that is a byproduct of urban freeway riding, that kind brown,black powder that stains anything it comes near.

Fake carbon fiber sections of the same plastic looks tacky.

The bolt for the left side subframe, the one that is down by my boot. It kept slicing up my boots until I filled the well on top of it with some two pack epoxy

The front fender is too short on the back side to protect the engine and radiator from spray

The warning lamps should be dimmable with the rest of the IP

The seat to peg is too tight and the seat is angled or tipped too far toward the tank

The foot pegs should be wider front to back and could use to be a little less slippery

The foot brake and shift lever need to have off road style folding tips.

Lots of these things I have already fixed, the rest I am either living with or have plans to fix. Overall I am very happy with the bike and I think if I was in the market for this kind of bike today, I would still go with the DL650

#98 · (Edited)
My penny tech solution to this was to cut a small circle of blue painters tape and place it over the high beam indicator. It does make it a bit difficult to see at a glance if the indicator is lit when the sun is shining directly on the panel, but in every other instance I can see it fine. MUCH more usable at night. The indicator is not illuminated in this pic (it's just an old pic I had on hand), but it is shows the idea.

For the cigar aficionados here, I found that an el-cheapo cigar punch cuts the perfect size circle for this purpose :fineprint:

#100 ·
I’m afraid the horn button may be the most dangerous part of my ‘13 Wee. At least once a week I accidentally hit it while trying to cancel my blinker switch, and people don’t take too kindly to getting honked at here in Florida. To avoid getting shot by a triggered Florida Man I tried moving the switch a little further to the right but I still find myself hitting it. I’m hoping to find a flat horn button I can rig into the stock assembly to make it less touchy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.