StromTrooper banner

Fixing the Vee

29K views 88 replies 27 participants last post by  OfirMX 
#1 ·
So a few days ago I purchased a 2006 DL1000 with only 18k miles on it for 1,800 greens.

The downside? The engine is busted.

PO managed to break the front cam chain, bent the valves and who knows what else went kaput inside that poor cylinder... so I'm calling that motor a complete loss... almost.

Anyway, I registered at here and posted my situation. Within minutes Snownut, who lives just miles away, PM'd me and told me something like "hey, I have a DL1000 engine sitting in my garage, other than a broken camshaft gear, it works nice and smooth." ;D

So I went, brought the engine home, cleaned it and inspected it.

The broken gear:

So now I just need to open the original busted engine, take the camshaft out, install it into the new engine and mount it on the bike.

I'll post pics and updates here.

See less See more
#64 ·
Great thread and congrats on the nice ending! How much was your total cost to get this Vee running? I know you put in a lot of labor, just curious what the total "out of pocket" was considering you knew it was a project. My guess is you did pretty well and now have the piece of mind that the engine should be good for some time.

#65 ·
$1,800 on the bike.
$200 on the donor engine.
$70 on head gaskets.
$20 on gasket compounds.
About $300 on very cool tools that I needed ;)

Lots and lots of happy hours of labor, listening to cool music in my garage.

#66 ·
Thanks for all the pics!

#70 ·
Yah, with chudder and all :p

Sent from my right shoe using the Motorcycle app

#68 ·
Thanx peeps. I still find it hard to believe that I was able to actually pull this one off flawlessly. I keep expecting the engine to blow up like TNT between my legs every time I ride. Ha!

Sent from my left shoe using the Motorcycle app

#76 ·
#74 ·
Dang man that sucks. At least you didn't get banged up worse than you did. Looks like the luggage and crash bars took the most of the damage. Never fails that some idiot not paying attention caused all of this and got off with not having to take his own loss. On the plus side; least you were able to get up and ride home.

#79 ·
It's enough to make you spit chips after all the time you have put into getting your bike back on the road :furious: The only good part of it is you managed to not be to badly hurt. Good job you were wearing all the safety gear. I just did a charity toy run last Sunday with about 350 assorted bikes. A lot of the riders wearing shorts and tshirts and very little on their feet. If that had happened to them it's a trip to the hospital. As others have said great job and thanks for for the information and photos.

#80 ·
A few years ago I took my boys to an ORV park in South Carolina call Carolina Adventure World. We went to ride the MX track and also get some fast trail time on some of the miles of one way trails.
Close to the parking area was a hard packed clay oval track and some guys were on it trying to flat track with their bikes. I decided to enter the un-official race on my CRF450R which is a MX bike and has knobbies for intermediate dirt. After a few practice rounds I started to feel comfortable and was actually lapping some of these guys. The longer I rode the faster I went and the more I pushed it into the corners then...BAM! I was down and sliding on that hard pack.
I nursed an arm and elbow that look very similar to yours for weeks! (keep it lubed and don't let it dry. Burn cream worked for me).
Reflecting back on it I realized that I was a fool for trusting the knobbies on this type of surface. I see a lot of these agressive knobbies on some Vee's and Wee's and just cringe.
The last several years I see a lot of trials tires like the Dunlop D803 and the Pirelli MT43 being used in serious off road competition and in endurocross. They get great traction in the conditions that the Strom's see off road. I wonder if they wouldn't be a better choice for going back and forth from road to dirt?

#82 ·
Well, I'm all healed up and back on the saddle. :mrgreen:

Now I just need to fix my busted left panier.

Sent from my tablet while doing a stoppie

#83 ·
Many thousands of miles later and a new black paint job, this thing is still going strong!

Reactions: Quimby
#84 ·
nice pics, and new paint. :thumbup:

#86 · (Edited)
Current state of affairs:

Although I never noticed any lack of power on the bike (it has always pulled harder than my SV650), I was never happy with the low mileage I was getting — 36MPG vs others reporting over 42MPG on their Vee's. So, out of curiosity, I performed a compression test and got low readings on the front cylinder :(

Oh well, lets take everything apart.

Yup, big pressure leak on the front exhaust valves. The air is escaping with almost no resistance :(

Now I need to figure if the problem is in the valves or the head itself.

Oh, and I guess this explains the poor charging output I was getting from the generator.

#88 ·
Today I patched the seat, installed an air pad and retouched a few scars in the paint.

The engine is still running strong and even better than stock, thanks to the reprogrammed ECU. Added to the suspension and brakes upgrades, she's ready for another ten years of fun and adventures!

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Sky Automotive fuel system

Reactions: Gert
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.