StromTrooper banner

Crookwell o'nighter

13K views 114 replies 14 participants last post by  saturn 5 
#1 ·
Following on to M.L.'s thread, I propose an o'nighter on Saturday Nov. 24th and Sunday 25th. V-Chops P.M.ed me with a map he thought would fit and it is exactly what I had in mind.
Don would you post that map up here for those who don't know the area?

I'm away from the computer till next Monday. Anybody wanting to join in can indicate so here, even if they cannot be definite at this point in time. Accommodation will be organised in the coming weeks I'm sure there will be a suitable spot for those who want to camp somewhere close to town. I'll probably need a real bed although I'd love to camp.

I'm meeting my brother at Temora this weekend to watch the air display. The old Sabre will be among those flying. Back on Monday.

Saturn 5 ... (Wardy)

#73 ·
Sorry to hear you won't be travelling Wardy, you too Ron :thumbdown: but will catch up for a chat at Richmond over coffee :thumbsup:

I'll come with the camping gear to give it a go, hopefully weather will be good.

See you all on Saturday, looking forward to it!:hurray::hurray:

:cheers2:
BOB

#77 ·
Hi All , Hopefully going but can't say for sure until tonight .
Saturn 5 , bummer you can't make it :thumbdown: looking after your health is the important thing .
Ozzy Strom

#79 ·
I've just spoken with Brian and he's just come out of an overnighter in hospital. He's asked me to confirm the bookings as the owner of the accommodation has asked.

As far as I can tell, this is the line-up and what I'll use for my confirmation phone call. If there are any errors, please let me know either here or by phone 0408 483 269

Mountain Lagoon
Ockerstrom (please confirm)
AstroBob
V-Chops (camping or with the group?)
Normo
Giddy Goanna & Bruce
OzzyStrom
Thunderdownunder
Rod1 & Lida

Are their any missing names?

#80 ·
Hope Wardy's ok
Tent is packed thanks Ron, and Astro is camping also :yikes:

#81 ·
Accomodation

P38arover, I rang Spud Murphys during the week and booked a room for Lida and I as I wasn't sure if you could have accomodated us. Lida got her wee V-Star 250 back on Wednesday evening with a new/2nd hand motor after the old one 'blew up' following our Moree trip recently. She (and I), are looking forward to a good weekend and meeting new people. Rod

#83 ·
P38arover, I rang Spud Murphys during the week and booked a room for Lida and I as I wasn't sure if you could have accomodated us. Lida got her wee V-Star 250 back on Wednesday evening with a new/2nd hand motor after the old one 'blew up' following our Moree trip recently. She (and I), are looking forward to a good weekend and meeting new people. Rod
Thanks Rod.

#82 · (Edited)
Thanks Chops. I've just heard from Ocker and he still doesn't know.

So list is now:

Mountain Lagoon
Normo
Giddy Goanna & Bruce
OzzyStrom
Thunderdownunder
Rod1 & Lida

AstroBob (camping)
V-Chops (camping)

Ockerstrom (unconfirmed)

I'm going to call and confirm 8 persons.

If there are any changes, please ring me 0408 483 269

See you tomorrow at Maccas.

Ron

#85 ·
So what time at Maccas Richmond?

Hopefully I can at least make it for the coffee [or even part of the ride].

At work we have some special pre Christmas programs running for the oldies and I may have to end up working over the weekend to cover for one of the other blokes.

If I do the overnight leg I will most likely tent it as well.

#87 ·
So what time at Maccas Richmond?
Based on V-Chops proposal:

The trip to Crookwell isn't that long, so we could have the departing time as late as 9-9.30. Meet the other blokes at the Ace an hour or so later, 10.30-11. We could have a stop at Tarana 12-12.30 and be in Bathurst by 1.30. Do a lap, away by 2-2.30 and be in Crookwell around 4- 4.30 with a stop at the Abercrombie or Tunea along the way. (these are Google Map times and are easily achieveable) Hope these times tally up :yesnod:
I plan on being at Maccas around 0830.

#89 ·
Thanks Rod, google maps had me wondering :confused: (not hard)
Hope to leave Richmond 9.30ish, so should be there by 10.30 - 11, we'll come thru Hartle Vale :thumbup:

#93 ·
Yeh Chops Google maps doesn’t show the cafe as it is now, its the building on the Gt West Hwy infront of the Venice caravan park which is on browns gap road (and also on our route).

See you about 9 ish tomorrow.

Westy’s (funny calling people Westy's when I live in western Sydney)

For those coming from Bell and turning off the causeway to ride down Hartley Vale road....
CAUTION - The first bit of dirt you come to is a sweeping downhill left hander with a black spot intersection halfway around the corner, take it easy around the first dirt bend, then after that its all normal risk, turn left after Collets Inn for the dirt run to the GW Hwy then the Ace cafe is 100m on your right...

Tomorrows ride is all easy distances, times and good dirt sections and even the weather seems to be on board too :)

#92 ·
Brenda's Full Throttle Diner

Meet you blokes from the "big smoke" about 10:30am at the diner.

Bruce, I and hopefully Ozzy will leave sunny Bathurst at 9am for Lithgow, Bell, Darling Causeway and Hartley Vale Rd.

Looking forward to a pie floater at Tarana! My fave washed down with a little green bottle.

Cheers Big Ears,
Ben.

#95 · (Edited)
Some lousy pics from the Richmond Maccas meet up. I dunno what I had done to the camera settings with my new lens...

Norm (normo) and Steve (ockerstrom)

Steve, Norm, Bob (AstroBob), Thunderdownunder and Don (V-Chops)

Norm and Brian (Saturn 5) with p38arover's P38A Range Rover in the background.

Attachments

#98 ·
Hi p38,
must be a day for bad photos , the ones i took today are not as good as yours (some anyway) wrong setting on camera :headbang:
I had to pull the pin at Bathurst (sick) but still had a great ride , it was good to meet in person some of the people from the forum.
Anyway im sure their having a great time at Crookwell , bummer i had to pull the pin :thumbdown:.
Will post the pics later.
Ozzy Strom

#99 · (Edited)
I know how you feel Ozzystrom. P38arover ( Ron) gave me a lift to Richmond Maccas and then home, as the last couple of weeks have seen me crook too. It's an empty feeling to see all the bikes leaving and you find yourself standing, left behind. :thumbdown:
It was a perfect day here, I was looking forward to the weekend ride too!

Seeing all these bikes ( only one new 2012 'Strom, Norms) makes me want to keep my bike and add some more accessories, knobbies again for a start. What a perfect day, at least you got to have a bit of a ride. Hope your health improves.

Saturn 5

#102 · (Edited)
Thanks Saturn 5 , on the mend , just one of the bugs that have been getting around lately that stirred up my stomach problems .
Maybe hanging onto the strom awhile longer and taking it easy will see you back on the go again with a little luck :thumbup:

First time using photo bucket !!!

#100 ·
Sunday Arvo 17:05hrs

My sincere thanks to all involved in organising, and those who participated in, this wonderful two day ride. Lida and I enjoyed ourselves immensly and it was a pleasure to meet the people behind the 'Names'. We ended up covering 518kms from Katoomba to Katoomba. Lidas little engine ran without problem and by the time we got home, we had even tidied up our dirt road skills. I have posted a ferw photos. I ended up with 20 odd..these are a selection. thanks again. Rod

Attachments

#101 · (Edited)
+1 Rod & Lida,

Well I’ve been asked by VChops to do a RR for the Crookwell Overnighter ride so here’s my RR, others may remember it differently depending on wether there was coffee, soft drink, beer, scotch, rum or wine involved. ….

Saturday the Richmond meeting point crowd made it up Bells Of Line Road (BOL) with the dozen other bike groups going that way. At Bell the police were dutifully booking anyone speeding past the intersection of the Darling Causeway and BOL rd (that corner is a black spot killer, so it’s good policing IMHO).

After turning off The Causeway, we all warmed up on the short dirt sections around Hartley Vale and onto The Ace Café (a bit late) to meet the rest of the bunch, we were now a “mob”. Someone (he who shall not be named as he rides a BMW) mentioned another nice dirt road that was on our planned route, so with a little help from Giddy Goanna we made our way through an extra section of well graded & fun back roads. (Thanks GG for flagging down everyone before the road dropped altitude suddenly).

We all made it to the Tarana Pub with the only casualty being AstroBob’s screw that had become loose and was now part of the road fill somewhere back on the track.
The “mob” of dirty Stroms and dirty riders made local coaches of tourist’s nervous (or maybe just the local sheep were).
After a quick bite & beverage at Tarana Pub it was onto Mt Panorama circuit that turned out to be closed for a hill climb event, before wishing Ozzy Strom a safe trip home a few managed to pose for a Pit Strait pic before continuing. We all regrouped at the Black Stump Hotel in Trunkey Creek where we could admire the country pub classic wall decorations.
With more great dirt roads ahead I could see a few grins appearing in helmet visors.

The run to Crookwell was as good as expected and checking into Spud Murphy’s was like visiting a relative’s country homestead with Grandad Spud watching the cricket on the back veranda and Mr & Mrs spud in the garden. Once all riders were washed and changed it was a short walk to the middle pub (the closest pub) for predrinks and cricket on the pub TV then onto the top pub for dinner with what was now the beginning of a “rowdy mob”

The morning saw those who could bear the morning sunlight (Rod& Lida, Bigfoot53, Giddy Goanna & Co) make their way home after rousing a motley crew from the caravan park. After a group pic we rode through what is left of the dirt roads to Taralga for breakfast then Chops and Astro headed south while Myself, Ock, Normo, and Thunder, headed north to Oberon.
More coffee at the Monkey Bean cafe then Ock and Normo shot west while Thunder and I headed for Sofala & Ilford.
At Ilford I handed Thunder a paper road map of NSW with the instructions of “keep the ocean on your right” he had a huge grin after riding through Sofala’s twistys and was last seen heading for Bylong Way!!!

Great company, roads and destination made this ride a good start to the festive season. When I finally got back to Bell the police were still booking people at the same intersection we had come through yesterday.
On my way down BOL rd there was a nice light rain that washed my Strom and I, the temp out west had been near 30c so the cool off and the NSW Blue Mountains washed and green after a rain was as good as you can get.

733 fun km's on my Black Strom

ML

Attachments

#103 ·
A great weekend, thanks to all who attended.

648km covered for me.

Pics and a report will follow later in the week.

The little KLE performed very well, it was my first overnight trip loaded with camping gear [which is why I took it instead of the Wee, wanted to compare it to "real" bikes :green_lol: ].

I suspect a few of the Strom riders were a bit surprised at how the KLE performed, good tar speed and handling along with excellent dirt ability. :thumbup:

Lida [Rod1's wife] went very well on the ride and the dirt didn't phase the little Yamaha V-Star 250 either :jawdrop:

#104 ·
Thanks for RR, ML. Nothing to add except us campers had a symphony of frogs, cicadas and who knows what else, eminating from the Crookwell River, to send us to sleep. A bit latter it was a few chainsaws doing ten to the dozen.
I apologise for image quality, I didn't check settings beforehand :yikes:

At the Full Throttle Diner, Hartley

Rod1 in foreground with AstroBob and Thunderdownunder at the back

GG's nice short cut

Hi Rod

Here comes Normo

Ocker on the "little" KLE and ML

Sorry Ocker, I can't help myself

No shots of tents, but they were just behind us here

Thunderdownunder, who needs Queensland, I'm that happy I want to stay here !!!!:green_lol:

Melinder's Cafe at Taralga

An excelent ride, made up of great people, roads and weather. The pubs wern't bad either.
Thanks for orginising Saturn5 (aka Wardy or Brian), it got us meeting more riders and out and about having some fun. I would like to propose that we do a similar trip each year about the same time, and to be known as "Wardy's Weekend Away" :yesnod:

#109 · (Edited)
Here comes Normo
Sorry Don.......

But in the words of Jim Carey in the movie Liar Liar, as he exited the elevator.

"It was me!"
:biggrinjester:

The single headlight and blue mudguard are the main give-away.

Oh, and thanks for the ever present "Lizard Shot" Don, as Astro once named a pic of me down on the ground setting up the camera for a shot.
I might need to go in to training though, it is getting harder to beat the bloody timer to get myself back in my photos. :var_15:

Roll on next year for another WWA :party:

Crookwell again :thumbup: with a different route perhaps [but I really enjoyed the route we did this time].

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.