StromTrooper banner

Teach Me About Heated Gear

3K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  T3/T4 Hybrid 
#1 ·
First of all, I apologize if this thread is in the wrong section--I didn't see a gear section although I may have missed it because I am so damn cold...which leads me to...

I just got back from a 70 mile ride from Los Angeles to Palmdale, CA. I took Bouquet Canyon road (a steep twisty canyon for those who don't know) and it was COLD! I am talking like 25-30 degree cold! It has only started to really drop this past couple of days but today was by far the coldest. On the way home I stopped at Cycle Gear and grabbed some Bilt Storm overpants which I had planned on buying anyway but seeing as it was cold--I just went ahead and did it--not bad by any means.

Anyway...while riding I came to the inescapable conclusion that heated gear was very much in the near future. I was wearing jeans, the Bilt overpants, a sweater and jacket because I haven't bought a winter jacket yet, and Tourmaster Cold-Tex 2.0 gloves and I was freezing.

I would like to have some heated gloves and a heated liner or vest (rather than a full-on heated jacket.) From what I have read, it seems like you HAVE to have a heated vest/jacket/liner of some kind to even use heated gloves as it looks like a pain in the ass to run a wire all the way from the battery up to the handlebars. Is this true? Do I have to have a liner to wear the gloves? I don't mind this at all--I'd love a heated liner to keep my torso warm lol. Any recommendations on liners/gloves?

Lastly, what are heat controllers and are they necessary? Do I have to buy a liner, gloves, controllers, etc? If someone could give me a complete list of the things required to run a heated liner and gloves I would appreciate it. Recommendations on brands would also be appreciated!! :yesnod:

See less See more
#2 ·
I have a gerbings jacket liner and the gerbings T5 gloves. I use the gerbings dual control. One controls the jacket and one controls the gloves. You can run the gloves without a control but you have to run the wires thru your coat. I would get the dual control even if you get just the jacket because you can always add the gloves latter. All the gerbings heated gear conects to each other. Gerbing's Heated Jacket Liner - RevZilla

#3 ·
You can have liner or vest or coat. You can have gloves. You can have pants. And insoles.

I have a Tourmaster heated vest. It comes with a controller and has a connection to pants or gloves (or maybe both). On the low setting, especially if I have a warm liner over it, I often have to turn the heat off even down to 40°F. I think the question of controller is specific to the brand of heated gear. There are some universal controllers, and for some brands the second item (gloves or pants) can be either run from one branch of a dual controller or with a Y-connector from the single controller, but then you lose individual temperature control.

It is most important to keep your head and trunk warm. A thin fleece or wool helmet liner or balaclava works. The vest is all I need for my body. I wear an insulated coat plus a fleece or down coat, and fleece pants and thick wool socks. Many also like the heat for their arms and prefer the coat liner or coat. Pants, gloves, socks--up to you, but check the sum of the wattage requirements first and check back here along with a list of other electrical devices you have running on your bike. The alternator is limited.

#4 ·
+1 on the Tourmaster.

Without a doubt, the very best motorcycle riding accessory I've ever purchased.

No more cold rides!!!!!

#6 ·
I wear many layers on really cold rides so a heated vest was never a thought to me. Gloves, however, are a different ball of wax. I use the Tourmaster gloves and they work pretty good. The controllers are usually the issue, hopefully they've fixed it now. My hands get cold quick and these gloves will make them sweat if left on high for a while. Handguards help too...:beatnik:

#7 ·
I bought some heated gear a few weeks ago and it's very nice. I ride in the fall and winter as the weather allows. The cold mornings made the ride into work not too much fun but the heated gear has changed this.

I tried the Cycle Gear brand Sedici. The price was reasonable and they were adding in a free controller so why not. If it didn't work out their retun policy is flexable.

I bought the jacket which puts out 85 watts of heat. The heat is spread pretty good about the jacket from both arms, back and chest. The other morning it was 30 degrees on the ride in and I only had it set on medium. I really like the gloves over the temp control being built into each glove plus it provides 22 watts of heat. So there is no need for a seperate controller! On the start of the ride, I had the gloves on high. Once it warmed up, I had to lower the setting to low. No complainants from me. :yesnod:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.