StromTrooper banner

03 Vee cold start issue?

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  OydnaR 
#1 ·
My 03 Vee has had the secondary removed has a PC III and has. Een dyno tuned and runs great. The problem I have is recently on cold starts it starts hard and does not idle up like it isn't getting the proper enrichening like it should when cold. Does anyone know what might be causing this?

#2 ·
You may simply need to adjust the idle speed. There's an easy-to-reach idle speed screw because the Vee's FI system doesn't do this for you as temperatures change -- fuel-injected cars have an IAC (idle air control) valve that manages idle speed, but on the Vee it's up to you.

You also might need to adjust the TPS (throttle position sensor).

#3 ·
If it has the idle screw mounted on the left side just below the gas tank, you can turn it clockwise about a full turn before starting and let it warm up at an idle speed of about 1,800. As it warms up, the idle speed should begin to creep upwards. Once you are ready to ride, turn the screw counterclockwise to the idle speed you want and you should be good to go.

#4 ·
Thanks, I'll check the TPS and the idle adjustment is fine and I should not have to mess with that. I'm guessing the ECU richens the fuel mixture on cold start which it is not doing because on cold starting it it starts and stalls a few times before it will stay running. Turning the idle screw before starting every time is something I don't want to have to do and IMHO is just a band aid not a correct fix for the problem

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#6 ·
There is a cold(fast) idle speed spec of about 1800rpm and a hot idle speed of 1100-1300rpm depending on the idle adjusting screw position. There should be no need to change the idle manually in cooler weather. If the bike doesn't do it by itself, the cold idle adjustment is off. FAQ: DL1000 Fast Idle Adjustment & Operation

#7 ·
Bingo! Out of necessity or lack of gadgetry you can also adjust it per the manual specs of cold start rpm's in relation to ambient temperature (there is a chart somewhere in the manual) RPM's upon a cold start vary with regards to temperature. On a cold engine, the tank needs to be lifted and you only have a few seconds to adjust the screw on the TB to reach the correct RPM's upon starting, but it can done if necessary. Not perfect but close enough. If you fail in the first few seconds however, you must wait until everything is cold again before re attempting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.