StromTrooper banner

DOT dog helmet?

4K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  phoenixsteve 
#1 ·
has anyone here run across a dog helmet that actually protects man's best friend? All I seem to find are the fake plastic helmets.

#2 ·
Given the great variety in size and shape of canine heads, any attempt at standardization seems utterly futile.

#3 ·
you could say that about human heads.

mainly is there a company that makes a helmet that actually protects against more than the 80mph bug impact?

#9 ·
Humans haven't been selectively bred into a wide range of bizarre shapes and sizes for hundreds of years, tho.

Also, compared to a human's bowl-shaped skull, dogs have a pronounced sagittal crest, and don't have full eye orbits. I'm not sure how a helmet would protect a skull with so much meat on the outside of the skull. And, I'd bet that for a given head size a dog's skull is much thicker and brain mass much smaller than a human's - like a walnut (dog) vs. a chicken egg (hoo-mon).

Get "doggles," tho. Pups need eye protection, too. LOTS of dogs get eye problems - even if it's just chronic dryness - from sticking their heads out of car windows. The bug impact at 80mph will blind your dog, and maybe make them freak out enough to get off. Also know flappy-eared dogs that have got ears shredded - like a flag that gets tattered from whipping in the wind. Tie their ears down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.