StromTrooper banner

Rode today.....question for taller riders..

4K views 24 replies 24 participants last post by  biggyfries 
#1 ·
Hi folks
had a chance to ride today
first longer ride since I bought the wee. fun bike.
I have to ask tho how do you taller riders deal with the short peg distance
as in leg room.
I felt a little cramped for leg room after 30 minutes or so.

Enjoy the weight to power ratio.

#3 ·
I bought a set of GL1800 Gold Wing foot pegs from a gold wing rider forum, they sit about 3/4 inch lower, (and are wider) which is noticeable, and if I ever spot a couple hundred bucks lying around with no intended use, I may pick up the Suzuki Tall Seat. I'm 6'2", and appreciate the added leg room too. I banged up a hip years ago on an ice rink, and it locks up on occasion, and almost forces me to stop the bike and get off to walk around. It's rare that I drag pegs on this bike, so I don't miss that clearance by using the lower pegs either. Welcome from another in Oregon, we're forcast for partly cloudy and 70 by Sunday, maybe we'll wave at eachother.

#7 ·
For longer rides I install this pad. It is black on the other side. it is this way so simply so it can be seen better. I took this picture the day I bought it. It is a tree stand pad for hunters sold at Walmart for around 6 bucks. It raises me up about one inch and helps with knee room as well as butt pain as long as it is installed before the long ride and not after it starts to hurt. I don't use it in town as it makes me a little less sure footed in traffic but on the open highway it does move my rear about an inch farther away from the pegs.

#10 ·
6'4". I have Richland Rick's peg lowering brackets, too. They make a noticeable difference - and then after a while you get used to them and still feel cramped.

Also have the tall touring seat, and now a ridiculously tall Russel Day Long saddle (I made the mistake of telling them "there's no such thing as too high" - it feels like it must be about +4"). With the RDL I have plenty of leg room - but can no longer flat-foot the bike. I feel like I'm sitting "on" the bike instead of "in" it. It's well-worth it for comfort on long rides, tho.

My point: everything is a trade-off. Lowering the pegs reduces cornering clearance. Raising the seat changes your ground reach, the overall feel, and the aerodynamics of the windshield (you're sticking up in the air higher).

Compromise and do a little of both, maybe. My next ergo change will be highway pegs to stretch out on long rides. Ideally (like the RDL) they would be something I could quickly take on and off for commuting vs. touring.

#12 ·
I'm 6'3" and have the tall gel seat, and the 1" peg extenders. This has been a huge improvement for comfort, but I would like to have an additional 1/2" or so between the seat and pegs if I could.

#15 ·
6'6", 38" inseam, RR peg lowering kit, tall seat made the biggest difference-to me- and a set of Tusk risers to get the bars up 1" to go with the seat. MRA Xscreen windshield helped some, but waiting on another National Cycle V-Stream like I had on my Vee, all done pretty cheap, all worked really well for a tall rider, Cheers--BB

#17 ·
Well, only 6' 3" tall (and not from Oregon), but I too have installed a custom seat like this guy, tall and level all across. (I can flat foot with both feet still). Stock peg location. Much better than with the stock seat, my hips are happier. My knees still cry out in pain now and then, but I don't know if even more reach would make any difference. I may get the RR peg lowering kit as well sometime. Sitting up so high (with the custom seat) I ended up too high for the stock screen. VStream and Madstad helped there. And a higher bar helped overall comfort as well. It's all been money well spent. I knew even before buying the bike or discovering this site that I'd need to do something.

Marc

#19 ·
I too had the same problem but it's an easy fix with around $300 aus

1st I bought a pair of lowering plates from RR
( and can I just say I've bought other items from them,the parts fit perfect and with fast delivery to western Oz I would recommend them to everybody. Plus the communication from them is fantastic)

2nd I bought a set of lower pegs from sw-motech.
( superb quality)

3rd I had the seat padding altered in my seat
The guy that did it removed the original cover and foam and fitted the extra padding under the original padding, this was a stroke of genius as it kept the original shape on top, luckily the men or women at Suzuki left enough seat cover to spare for the original cover to be refitted and not replaced by an after market one.

I would have also fitted bar backs but my model is an ABS and the brake lines need to be replaced in order to fit them.

If you want pics I can send you some or try n post them on here.

#20 ·
I have the 2011 Wee and I got the DL1000 seat which sits you up and extra inch and you can get Richland Rick's peg lowering kit which gives another inch (which I am thinking of getting being I am 6"5').

#25 ·
I aquired a pair of Buell Uly pegs--they are a near bolt-on and are almost an inch lower (and a little wider). I added a Corbin seat and tho its not a lot taller it is wider and seems to take longer to make my butt sore. My bike is the most comfortable bike I have EVER owned. (6' 5" and 34" inseam--and I live four miles from the OR border.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.