StromTrooper banner

Can't get the Aprilia Tuono mirrors to fit

11K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Lrobby99 
#1 ·
I ordered a pair of the "usual" replacement mirrors for the DL650 as part of my wind-fighting experiment:

Aprilia Tuono Mirrors : fits all KTM

I think they have an M10x1.25 thread. I also thought that they would be a direct swap, but I can't get the mirror stem to fit in the perch mount. On close examination, it seems that the OEM mirror has a very slightly finer thread.

Anyone get this combo to work? What's the OEM mirror thread dimension?

Thanks! Driving me nuts.

#2 ·
Did you take off all the silver colored parts? If not, you need to.

#3 ·
Ahh, so after removing the stock mirror stem (one silver collet comes off with that), I also need to remove the lower threaded silver piece that looks like it's integral to the perch? Going to try that right now..

Thanks GW!

#4 ·
No wonder they wouldn't fit. The Glee stems have left hand threads and the Aprilia stems have right hand threads.

#5 ·
Well, that was easy.

The silver parts came off, and the Tuono mirrors went right on. Pays to ask Greywolf!

Here they are with my new Givi Airflow 3101 screen. Hopefully this combo will take care of the nasty Arai XD-3 head-smashing....

Attachments

#9 ·
I did - that's a brand new Givi Airflow that I put on at the same time. Haven't had a chance to ride with this setup yet, but I figured I'd try the full monty.

#11 ·
I reckon the Aprilia ones give slightly more view of whats behind me. The OEM ones I'd guess have more area, but I know what my jacket body and arms look like already.

The view is slightly fuzzy if you're in the crash bars vibration zone, otherwise nice and clear, for me. Running with the OEM screen on its lowest position.

#17 ·
Results? A few of us are interested to hear your thoughts.
Installed Tuono mirrors, really like them. The field of view is just fine. The droop at the bottom provides extra view of anything behind to the side. The styling is a 1000% improvement. I took to the freeway at 80 and believe buffeting was reduced. I sure like them. Bravo!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.