StromTrooper banner

Advice for a hard launch

5K views 29 replies 18 participants last post by  Mythbuster 
#1 ·
I have a question for those who drag race their Stroms. I'm thinking of going to the track next week, and I'd like some help on my launches. I ran against a Glee the other day and, much to my chagrin, was left behind on the launch (granted, I also gave up about 200 lbs to him- his bike was stock, my 1k has beefy crash guards/skidplate/center stand/luggage rack/top box with ~25 lbs of stuff in it, plus I outweigh him by about 80 lbs). Were it a longer race, I would have reeled him in, but we were just racing up to 60 ish, and there really wasn't anything between us.

I'll openly admit that I don't drag launch my bike and I never have. I used to drag my car, but that was years ago and I was probably a lot slower than I think I was. What's the best way to launch this bike? I'd like to get a decent 60 ft time (less than 2 seconds, I hope!) What can I do in order to accomplish this? Currently, my brain tells me to hold the revs at around 5k, slide up as far as possible, and then slip the clutch till it engages at around 4k. I am aware this is likely not the ideal way, hence my asking for help :)

Oh, and I'm running 16/43's, so power wheelies are also a bit of a concern, though I'm pretty sure with my weight that I can quell them effectively.

Thoughts?

See less See more
#3 ·
Yep. Buddy of mine can get me into the track for free, so why not?

#4 ·
I drag raced two different bikes back in the 70's. Both were my street bikes. Neither had the power the Vee has. Your problem will be keeping the front wheel down. I don't think you will want 5000 rpms! Drag racing is all about your 60 ft. times. I suspect you will do well with a 2-3K launch and feather in the clutch. Yes, slide up on the bike as far as is practical to keep the front down. Once you launch and as you feather the clutch out fight the urge to pin the throttle. You will just pull the front wheel up doing that. Roll the throttle on and if you find the front wheel is coming up to much after you are rolling good just shift to second gear. That will net a faster time than letting off in first and rolling the throttle back on. In fact with your gearing you may find "short shifting" into second gear works well.

Drag racing is NOT as easy as it looks! In cars or bikes. But you will have fun and don't try to over do it. Learn how to launch smoothly and then you can learn the little tricks to improve your times.

#16 ·
I've had best results getting just a bit of air in front ( less than 8") and just south of making the clutch "stink" on launch.
I would not advise this for a "daily driver" but you can leave a good bit harder.....
Using this, I got w/ bags, top box, etc. with My porkey 225 lb ass into the LOW 12's W/ well worn Anakee's.....:confused:

#5 ·
Thanks! My 5k idea was mostly based upon reviews of sport bikes. I read how, in order to get the best launches, some of the 600's needed to be launched at 7-8k rpm to get them in their powerbands when the clutch finally grabbed, and the Vee's powerband starts at 4k.

#6 ·
Let us know what your times are when you do it. :thumbup:

#7 ·
Absolutely! Like I said, I'm not really expecting too much, as I won't take my engine guards/skidplate/centerstand off (I'll probably leave the trunk at home!) and I weigh in at a ballerina-esque 280. I just want to have some fun :)

#8 · (Edited)
Though it is brutal I think your original idea was correct to be IN the meat of the power band and control with the clutch

In the old days a tach was slower than a race motor and we APPEARED to short shift because the actual RPM was much higher than the dampened lagging tach

I also think a Glee is in a higher state of tune than a DL

If you are abusive a 2nd gear launch may actually yield quicker times and with TRE you only get full power in like 4th gear.

"Powershift here you go"

#9 ·
Wait, I thought it was the other way around? I thought the TRE tricked the bike into thinking it was in 4th at all times, thereby removing the power cuts in the other gears?

#11 ·
mythical

You know when I first read the thread title I thought this might be a joke. Much like the mythical stolen strom. Since you are indeed serious, my advice is hold your rpm at about 2500 rpm and then feather it until you are over 5k. I'm not a drag racer but that it how I've got mine to launch fairly quick without bringing the front wheel up.

#14 ·
You know when I first read the thread title I thought this might be a joke. Much like the mythical stolen strom. Since you are indeed serious, my advice is hold your rpm at about 2500 rpm and then feather it until you are over 5k. I'm not a drag racer but that it how I've got mine to launch fairly quick without bringing the front wheel up.
It is indeed a mythical thing to drag race a Strom, but then, I also offroad the piss outta my Strom, and almost no one does that either. The best part is, my buddy takes his 05 Sprint ST almost everywhere I take my Strom, and I take my bike to some pretty gnarly places!

#13 · (Edited)
TRE stands for Timing Retard Eliminator :) The eliminator is the aftermarket thing I'm talking about.

[edit] I see the problem. I didn't specify that I HAVE a TRE attached to my bike (I thought that I had mentioned that). D'OH! [/edit]

#15 ·
I've got a buddy like that as well, except he rides an RF600. I keep trying to find the worst stuff possible just to see how far he is willing to go. So far he's only backed out when it's been very sandy or very rocky, and a cracked oil pan is what made him cautious about very rock terrain.

#18 ·
As a motor head and a guy who plays hard a lot when I go out , I say have fun. It's your bike , on a closed track , and I'm sure you have already thought of potential " whoops" that can take place when pushing a piece of machinery. Looking forward to hearing the results.

Dan

#20 ·
In one of the best launches in over 40 years of riding came on my Vee a couple years ago when I pulled up to the last redlight on Rt 100 eastbound, a half-3/4 mile straightaway in front of me.....and up comes the loudest Harley I'd ever heard...he pulls RIGHT behind me and continously rips the throttle as we wait for the light....Brraaat, Brraat....loud as all heck! Well, of course I figure my new friend wants to play and all he can see is the back of my black leather riding jacket and black helmet......and he can't see all my grey hair<LOL>.

Sure enough the light flips and with a admittedly nervous stomach, I let muscle memory take over from my road racing days when we used to start from a standing start position(and 500-750 two strokes)....I pop and GO, never using the clutch and the front wheel hovered 6-8"(Shelby's right about that) above the pavement from the start to midway through 3rd gear.....that Harley stayed on my six but he never even gained a foot....I heard that bike screaming in my ear and never seemed to change in pitch...in other words, he didn't gain, and he didn't fall back....we came to the main road where 100 merges to a 40mph Mountian road and I let off. He pulls along side and I can see he's riding a fully customized Screaming Eagle. He hollers over "What is that thing?" I replied "A touring bike, a Suzuki!". He waved, shook his head and pulled into the Exxon station........and I rode that 2 miles home with the biggest grin on my face. I'll bet he easily had 30K in that bike....and my 7500 otd Zuk just had him for lunch!! Life doesn't get any better.

The Vee has plenty of low torque.....that's what you need to get good times. Drop the hammer and go to the throttle stops and don't use the clutch going up and don't over rev, shift at your power point or a hair above to drop you into the next gear in the power....and you'll be fine.

jeff

#21 ·
I tried drag racing once.

I tried drag racing once.....but my evening gown was too long and it kept tangling in my high heels and tripping me up.

So the other two guys beat me in that race...although the first place getter was later disqualified from the race when it was discovered it was actually a female, not a man dressed in drag.

:green_lol: :green_lol: :green_lol: :green_lol: :green_lol:

#23 ·
I wasn't able to take the Vee to the track, as Sac Raceway says no bikes after mid October or something like that. In any case, the new ZX-14R now has ABS, after Kawi insisted that they wouldn't offer it to the US market, so that's where my pennies are going at the moment. I figure I should be able to pick one up around August or so, depending on their financing deals :D

#25 ·
If all Vee's pulled a tank slappa at 100 I would be dead. or at 110 or 120.

The Wee feels a bit sketchy to me above the century but the Vee likes it.

I do not condone or recommend any speeds above the posted limit on public roads.

#27 ·
For those who don't have problems above 100, are you bigger guys? I'm quite large (6'5", 280) and the few times I've taken it past 100 have felt quite stable. I'm the opposite of you, Dbuck... My chicken strips are non-existent, but 100+ speeds I will generally stay away from! I wonder if the lift that the fairing supposedly causes is counteracted by the weight of bigger guys.

#28 ·
240ish here, all muscle I'm tellin' you :green_lol: GPS indicated 127 (stopped there as my front tire is H rated) is the fastest it has been. Zero wobble. Crosswinds really grab this thing though.

edit to add: I know it is well known, but the speedo inaccuracy on these things is rediculous.

#30 · (Edited)
Never drag raced the Strom (yet)...well only against mates on country roads..

used to drag an 1100 Katana back about 30 yrs though ...11.7 's then and mostly on one wheel ..we used to drag at the RAAF Base at Amberley in Qld in those days before liability ...:thumbup:

Practise......oh and there must be something wrong with my V...it's never wobbled or tankslapped at over 160 -240 yet ...

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/4700/katanapaul.jpg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.