StromTrooper banner

Christmas 2012, Overnighter in Urbenville

17K views 134 replies 34 participants last post by  Red Neddy 
#1 · (Edited)
This particular first entry will be updated as the thread evolves with all the essential info so you don't have to troll through all the pages to find out what's what, who's coming and all that.

Christmas Overnighter, Sat-Sun, Dec 8-9, at BrettStrom's place, 395 Beaury Creek Road, Urbenville, NSW. Google Map if coming from the south. True to the method of numbering rural properties it is 3.95 kms from the nearest main intersection (on Toloom Rd.) Or, as Brett describes it: "From the top of Beaury Creek Road VIA Woodenbong, I am approximately 7kms past the Leuvka 4x4 park turn-off. Otherwise, from Urbenville, turn right at the State School follow the bitumen to a T intersection which is dirt, turn left, ride approximately 2kms." Map of direct path from Urbenville HERE.

Brett & Diana have kindly offered the use of their property. Their home ph is 02 6634 1466. No mobile reception (not sure if that includes Telstra).

Dinner will be at the nearby Urbenville Pub (7 kms). Menu - see attached pic below - lamb, pork, + apple pie & ice cream etc. If you have special dietry requirements please contact Diane or Brett asap so they can work with Daryl to meet your needs.
We can use Daryl's (publican) van to taxi back 'n forth. Late night bon-fire at Brett's. Sunday breakfast BBQ, $5

Bring along partners, and open to non-VStroms, too. We had a lovely time at Chef's last year and Lions Road in May and if we can have a similar atmosphere again that'll be great.

There are many great rides in the area, both on-road and off-road. Chef is leading an off-road ride. Volunteer needed to lead a road ride. PM SteveC for route suggestions and group-ride notes.

Fuel up bikes at either Woodenbong or Urbenville and grab ice before arriving at the property. QLD'ers will lose an hour crossing the border (NSW on daylight saving time).

Coming:
BNE & north
bookamj (Maurice J)..... black widow (Gary) + Hiew
Whoppa......................Gotawee (Ang)
VMan (Hugh DL1000).....theblackwiggle
Dee Ell (Geoff).............Thunderdownunder (Alec)

Gold Coast
SteveC (SuzyVStrom)....Peter Oneoff + Lucy
Mustang (Trevor)..........RTLiney (Stu) + Simone (maybe)
Red Neddy (Ken)...........Skip + Cheryl (Honda Varadero)
Dave Misfud (BMW)........Mark (Tenere 660) & wife Sarah (XR400)
Sandman61 (Chris)

Northern NSW
BrettStrom + Diane.......Chef + Sita + Charlotte + baby Owen
Rabbitoh64 + Liz

Southerners
wobbly_boot...............230Rocket (Dean)
Strongarm (Ian)..........Darren Kavanagh + wife Cindy

Maybe:
Huggo (Graham).......... The Phantom (Maurice-Mozza)
PeteW....................... Mark R (BNE blue strom) + wife & 2 young-stroms.
Soups (Chris).............. Mal & Karen (GC Suzuki)
BB63 (Brian)............... Howie (BMW 1200 GS)

Can't make it:
Honez.................... Tweed Strom (the other SteveC)
Livo....................... Buzz & Maureen
Pais (Paul).............. MacGuyver & Sam
Gino (BMW)............. AceRider + Jo Jo & baby Savanah
Vchops................... Vstromrcflyer (Mike)
Penguineer.............. Aussie Guy (Brendon)

Waiting to hear from: (have I missed anyone? Spread the word. Contact these guys if you know them. Would be great to have everyone there.)
Rod S.................BrizzyMark + Fran
Rod B.................Dave ToeCutter
Ian W.................
Leon R (BMW)......Woz (Elefant) + Lenny
Brissy (Anthony)...Rado (Tenere)

MENU (pic attached)

Attachments

See less See more
#31 ·
G'Day Steve,
Unfortunately I can't make this one, hope everyone has a great weekend!

Mike

#32 ·
Have been meaning to get back down this way for a look for many years now, this seems like a perfect chance. My grandmother hailed from this part of the world (Boomi Creek) and would love to have a look around the area again after 30years. Will check the calendar, but at this stage please put me down as a maybe. Would love also to meet some fellow a trimmers. I don't contribute often but really enjoy the forum as a resource. Cheers!

#36 ·
Urbenville Christmas party

To avoid disappointment, for those of you that are a definate and require a special meal for Saturday night and eating at the pub:fineprint:, can you let me know asap about your needs so I can advise Daryl:argue:.

Also if anyone is planning on riding or driving down Friday please let me know in advance:confused:, I will be home on friday getting a few things organised at the camp site.

Also if anyone is a budding movie maker:beatnik:, it may be a good idea to have some footage of the weekend etc, besides the standard photo opportunities, just a thought:thumbup:.

A few riders that are not on Stromtroopers have asked how many kids are coming, as they are not sure if thery should bring their kids. Kids are welcome to come along, my own kids will be here as well.

Cheers

#40 ·
Would have loved to make it to meet everyone but I'll be over in NZ (I swear, everything important is happening while I'm overseas :headbang:)

Hopefully I can catch up for a ride with some of you in the new year :thumbup:

Have fun!

#43 · (Edited)
Hey dont blame me,it was Gotawee who took you on a 650k joy ride last sunday,mind you I am spewing I missed it. Yeah she does like to ride but it really isnt a good idea to call her an"Stupid woman" when you both have a scala...LMFAO:green_lol:
Are you sure you can make it all the way to Crookwell? I mean to say only 650k's...whos the old woman:confused:

#45 · (Edited)
Glad you can make it, Dean.

wobbly_boot, 230Rocket, Strongarm (Ian) are coming up from down South, though different places. Maybe you can meet up with them somewhere.

For all the Maybes out there: now is the time to come for all good VStrommers to come to the aid of the party and make a decision please - helps catering and planning.

Of course, if circumstances dictate and you can't say yay or nay yet, you're still welcome to bowl up at the last minute, but if you can RSVP now it is a help.

And if you know anyone on the "Waiting to hear from" list please get in touch with them and invite them to come.

#48 ·
I've yet to decide which way I'll head up as I have my Parents living in Grafton and My Sister and her mob living out around Bundarra and would like to see them all before Xmas.Might also call into my Aunt's in GI for her famous scones:mrgreen:
I was kinda planning to go From Newcastle via Gloucestor, Walcha thru Uralla and up to Bundarra on Thunderbolt's way...then after a night or two with Sister & her mob, go back through to Armidale then to the back road to Grafton via Nymboida but I've been told that road is pretty chopped up (anyone with current reports on this road?) then after a night or two at the Oldie's place, I'll head up through Copmanhurst, Fineflower, Baryugil to the bruxner and head up to Urbenville via Bonalbo.....I'll worry about the way back when I get there but may probably come back the same way.
My main worry at this moment is bike luggage....usually I just pack up my andy strapz A bag accross the seat infront of my top box but am now unsure how I will go also strapping my tent, sleeping bag and self infl. mattress as I have no panniers yet. I may have to quickly invest in some soft expedition bags and racks from A. Strapz so if I can get my clothes and stuff in them, I can place my sleeping bag and mattress in the A bag (I hope) and the tent tied ontop of the A bag. Jeez free camping adds so much extra gear doesn't it:confused:

Cheers

wobbly_boot

#49 ·
wobbly & others in same predicament - If anyone's taking a car from Gold Coast I can loan 2 tents and 2 sleeping bags to save you carrying stuff. Don't have spare mattresses though.

So, the questions are:
anyone taking a car from GC?
if so, wobbly, wanna borrow a tent and sleeping bag?

#50 ·
Thanks for your offer Steve but I'm gunna try to overcome this problem even if it means buying a set of panniers from Andy Strapz....I s'pose it'll be a good opportunity to set my Wee up for free camping on other trips as well as the longer pub jobs.
So Santa...I really have been a good boy this year....worked hard...blah blah blah....can you bring me a set of panniers for my Wee-strom a bit earlier than expected....please please pretty please:mrgreen:

cheers

wobbly_boot

#52 ·
Wobbly - not sure how big your a-bag is, but what I do is put my mat & sleeping bag in the tent, roll it up like a swag, into a bag, strapped to back seat to lean on. camp chair fits in bag, too.

Clothes etc into top box, crocs bungeed on top, all done. you don't need to bring food, water, stove, so don't need panniers. Maybe tank bag for little extras.

Then again, if you really want panniers, now is as good a time as any.

Sent from my phone (not while riding)

PS tx for offer, tweedstrom. Looks like we'll be right though. Cheers

#53 ·
Liz and I will be coming. Liz is coming in the car so if anybody wants a lift or some gear taken she will be leaving from Pottsville about 9am. PM me and let me know. We will be leaving from Urbanville about the same time Sunday as we have to be in Tweed Heads around 2pm for our grandsons concert :thumbup:

#55 ·
Wobbly if you are in the market for some luggage you may be able to buy some of my kit from my old bike. Did some further resurch last night and seems I will not be able to fit my carabou racks and panniers or my sw rear rack and bag. Just another option if you are in the market for some luggage.

Chef

#56 ·
G'day & Thanks Chef & Rocket,

Thankyou kindly for your offers but I'm working on selling some shares and buying the sidecases I want after a lot of Oooo-ing and aaaahing.

And besides....I can only use left handed toothbrushes:biggrinjester:

Chef, I've never heard of the racks you mentioned but after some quick googling, they seem to get mated up with pelican type cases...are these the ones you have?

Ok I've been bugging the crap out of my local Suzi dealer and they have a DL1000 (new) set up with the latest Givi Tracker boxes 33litre each on the side plus they've got a massive big square topbox on the backplate.

I won't be worrying too much about the topbox at this stage as I already have a good RJ's untill I save up some more reddies for the full kit but those new tracker boxes look exactly what I'm looking for.....you have a 2 way opening system by using a set of clips inside the box, you can choose whether to obtain some small stuff by a half lid opening or you can just open out the sides like most Givis. They are pretty strong boxes and have been crafted with adventure style bikes in mind.
I also like the racks of the Givi's as they look very strong, durable and you can interchange top boxes for side boxes and visa versa or use the side pannier to clip on the rear givi plate (which I'll get later)
It's a fair investment of around nearly $1200 for the 2 side cases and racks but at least I can keep them irrespective of what bike I choose later....just need different racks perhaps.

I have a good bike tent, self inflated mattress and sleeping bag from my Bicycle camping days on the NSW Big Rides so they are all in good nick and ready to be used again but I may have to buy a larger bivvy bag to load them in.

I hope to buy these cases before coming up to Urbenville so anyone that hasn't seen those type yet can have a real good gander at them. There are 3 sizes but I think 33litre per side is the right size for the Wee-Strom.(they even looked pretty big on the DL1000)

230 Rocket, Dean...be great to meet up Dean....I'll let you know if I plan to head up thru Armidale....are you going up to Urbenville for the Xmas bash?

Cheers

wobbly_boot

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.