StromTrooper banner

Trax Box Carry Handles and Lashing Straps

Tags
diy trax
29K views 136 replies 45 participants last post by  Fisherman 
#1 · (Edited)
I have sold out of straps. First, thanks to those who have bought a pair. Given the response I will be taking orders to run a 2nd run of straps. I will keep the order open until December 1st. $45 shipped in the US, $48 to Canada. I need to receive at least 5 orders to make it worth the time investment. Thanks! PM me your paypal email so I can send you an invoice.

Some say necessity is the mother of invention. I think it's cheapness. Not wanting to spend either $27.50 for just a carrying handle or $45.50 for a carrying handle with a sub par lashing system, I made my own. Oh yeah, those prices above are for just one handle. So really it's $55 or $91 for a pair, really? No way, I can make them myself.

I took some measurements of my Trax boxes that came on my 2012 V-strom 650. I wanted to straps to be long enough to lash a 40 Liter dry bag to the top of the boxes to carry light gear, like sleeping mats & sleeping bags. I needed them to lash to the boxes for when the wife is in the passenger seat. When shes not there, I use them for small dry bags for gear I want quick access to, like raingear.

So I found some handles, some double side adjustable quick releases, and polypropylene webbing & hit up the sewing machine once again.

As you an see, the straps are fully adjustable & can hold up to a 40 Liter bag (really they can fit any size, but my dry bags are 40 liters so I cut the tag ends.
Also, the tag ends are fully contained in the handles & box lashing points, so no tag ends flap in the breeze or melt on the exhaust.
Finally, I needed a solution to quickly adjust the straps so the tag ends do not flap when not using dry bags, but just using the straps as handles. I sewed in a thin red line (ha) so the straps always are adjusted the same way & super-tight.
Super adjustable, totally funtional, and oh yeah, a lot less than buying them on the web.
More pics at: https://picasaweb.google.com/Dan.Repella/TraxBoxStraps

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks. I left the handle purposely loose so it can be removed or adjusted as needed. Also, the length of the strapping can really be anything someone wishes. I just cut mine to fit a 40L drybag. I don't know what would be larger than that strapped on top of a box. The webbing is easy to cut & then just hit the cut end with a lighter to prevent fraying.

I may end up making some of these for fellow Troopers if enough people are interested?

#9 · (Edited)
Ok there seems to be enough interest in the straps to warrant making some for fellow Troopers.

First some info:
I made my strap with Black webbing cause I like the matching look of it. I also used Silver thread to join the pieces of webbing because I thought it matched the Trax box colors well. I used red thread for the red line so it is easy to see in the loop of the quick release buckle.
Also, I left the handle unattached to the webbing so the handle can be moved over the top of the drybag as pictured so it could be carried as a whole unit. Or the handle could be removed if you desire & you can use the straps for other purposes (like clipping the webbing together to make a hanging line for a lantern, a clothes line for drying clothes, etc). I like my gear to have more than one purpose in life! With the handle sewn to the webbing you are limited with what the straps can do.

Given the response, I can offer a PAIR of Black webbing with silver thread or black thread for $45 shipped in the US, $48 shipped to Canada. If interested you can PM me & get info to pay with paypal (preferred) or a check.
Turn around time would be about 2 weeks (probably less) since I would need to order some more handles & clips as I only intended on making these for my boxes, but I have no problems making more for other Troopers since I enjoyed the process.

Thoughts?

#11 · (Edited)
Ok. I've posted these straps on a couple forums.
$45 shipped for a pair.
Best bet is to PM me your email & I can send you a paypal invoice.
I will make them & ship them out in order of payments received.
Sorry to have to collect before the order, I am jobless at the moment so by pre-paying you are helping buy all the supplies needed.

#12 · (Edited)
First thanks for all the kind words. Second, thank you to everyone who has ordered a pair. I will then purchase all the parts, make them, and ship them out ASAP.
I had a couple inquiries about how I set them up on my bike. Luckily, I'm taking a nice weekend trip so I loaded everyone up on the bike for some photos.
More photos are available at: https://picasaweb.google.com/Dan.Repella/TraxBoxStraps

On the smaller 37L box I have a Medium Size Sea-to-Summit eVent Dry Compression sack. In that sack is some clothes I may want to grab if it gets cold. I also face the yellow bottom of the bag rearward for more visibility.

On the larger 45L box I have a Sealline HD 30L Drybag. In that bag is my sleeping bag, bag liner, stuff sack with some clothes, and a Thermarest sleeping mat. There is still room in the drybag, but I pack light.

With the handles fully adjustable I can carry the boxes with the bags strapped to the top so it only takes one trip to bring my gear inside.
The straps are big enough to hold up to a 40L dry bag on each side if need be. When the wife is wife me, I use the bigger bags since we have twice the amount of gear.
Any questions, just ask.

Attachments

#29 ·
First thanks for all the kind words. Second, thank you to everyone who has ordered a pair. I will keep the order window open until October 28. I will then purchase all the parts, make them, and ship them out ASAP.
I had a couple inquiries about how I set them up on my bike. Luckily, I'm taking a nice weekend trip so I loaded everyone up on the bike for some photos.
More photos are available at: https://picasaweb.google.com/Dan.Repella/TraxBoxStraps

On the smaller 37L box I have a Medium Size Sea-to-Summit eVent Dry Compression sack. In that sack is some clothes I may want to grab if it gets cold. I also face the yellow bottom of the bag rearward for more visibility.

On the larger 45L box I have a Sealline HD 30L Drybag. In that bag is my sleeping bag, bag liner, stuff sack with some clothes, and a Thermarest sleeping mat. There is still room in the drybag, but I pack light.

With the handles fully adjustable I can carry the boxes with the bags strapped to the top so it only takes one trip to bring my gear inside.
The straps are big enough to hold up to a 40L dry bag on each side if need be. When the wife is wife me, I use the bigger bags since we have twice the amount of gear.
Any questions, just ask.
Any chance I can get a late order in?

#14 ·
#19 ·
Sorry everyone the delay in responding, but I'm out actually riding my Strom ;-)
I think I've answered all my latest PMs. Its a pain typing on a smart phone!
If you want a set PM me. To all my Canadian friends, I'll figure out the shipping & email you when I get back home with a quote.

I tried to attach a pic of the straps on the boxes from the trip I am on now. Dry bag on one side, wet laundry on the other box that is getting air dried as I ride! Stupid rain!

Sent from my LG-C800 using Motorcycle.com Free App

Attachments

#21 ·
Another day, another 300 miles to go. Today is red dry bag on the big box, yellow compression sack with some ultra-smelly laundrt on the small box. Chance of rain today so I need to out run it.

Sent from my LG-C800 using Motorcycle.com Free App

Attachments

#22 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,
I'm back from my trip; 800 miles in 5 days. Fun! Through MA, CT, NY State, & NJ.

I got a shipping quote for the straps. The price for a pair of straps for the side boxes & shipping to Canada will be a total of $48. For USA, it's $45 for a pair.
If you would like a pair, PM me your paypal email address & I'll send you a paypal invoice.

Thanks!

#24 ·
love the straps. I made some as well. Ill get some pics up soon. There not as nice as yours, but they work. I used lashing straps from Walmart I got from the camping section. I can also carry bags with mine too.

Im more interest in the bags on the crash bars. Where would one find something like that?

#27 · (Edited)
First & foremost, thanks to everyone who has ordered a set of the straps.

You can still PM me as I may make some extras with this order. If there is enough interest from members I may run another batch in the future, after I finish this order & figure out prices vs time vs shipping costs so if you bought straps this time, you probably got them as inexpensively as I can make them. I forgot to factor in paypal fees so I am already taking a hit but I was doing this more for fun & to share these with fellow Stromtroopers.

Also a final word on the straps. A need a disclaimer the wifey tells me :fineprint:
They are built with webbing rated for around 600 pounds breaking strength & plastic buckles. I have had a the 45L box loaded with 6 tall 22oz bottles of beer, camping gear, & a bag of wet laundry lashed to the top of the box & had no issues at all. The straps are mighty strong, but don't try to use them to pull a pick-up truck out of the mud. :headbang:
Also I am using my boxes as the model for making the straps & the red-line for quick installation reference points. I am hopeful our boxes are assembled the same, but due to manufacturing differences, the red-line might not end up exactly in the buckle cam. Again, the redline is just a handy reference point. I'm making a youtube instructional video & you'll see how they go on.

Also, these are your straps, cut them to any length you want but the way I have them set up makes having them long work best. If you do cut them, make sure you take a lighter to the tag ends so the webbing doesn't fray.

If you think of something you want done to your straps PM me & let me know. I can also sew things on to them or make some kind of changes as you want. My friends that have seen them think they look super pro and want me to do this for more kinds of boxes. I tell them I just want to ride my motorcycle.

Thanks again,
dan :yesnod:

#28 ·
Quick update for those interested in the straps:

All the supplies have been ordered and are on the way. Given I am just outside of Boston, & we had a hurricane you might have heard about, the shipping may be delayed a couple of days. Sorry, blame mother nature.

I also should have enough supplies to make some extra straps. PM me if interested.
Thanks again to all who have shown interest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.