StromTrooper banner

How To: Install Buell Ulysses Headlights On A 2007 DL-650

7K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  dtaylor 
#1 · (Edited)
#3 ·
Right now I am in New Hampshire. I will get back home tomorrow late in the afternoon. Over the next week, I will take a look at getting the photos uploaded to Photobucket and refresh the links for you.

I was actually thinking about this yesterday!

Thanks for the reminder!

B.L.

#5 · (Edited)
(Part One)

I can't get back in to the original thread that I posted this information in. I originally wrote the post in March of 2010. From what I am told, the forum software won't allow me back into that section of the forum to make edits. So, using some of my text from the original post, and the photos, I will try to "rebuild" a story of what I did to mount a set of Buell Ulysses headlights to my 2007 DL-650.

Here is the front end of my motorcycle disrobed of all of the factory fairings, except the OEM headlights.

With the Suzuki headlights removed, I used some scrap steel that I had on hand, and fabricated a bracket that I welded to the factory fairing structure.

After the Buell headlights were "hung", I needed to fabricate a way for me to adjust the unit "up", or "down". I discovered that a short piece of steel tubing slid nicely into the stock structure.

Out of more scrap steel, I welded up an "adjustment tang" that would attach to the bottom of the headlight assembly, and slide into the steel tube.

Now, I had to fabricate a way to "lock" the adjustment tang into position after I determined the proper height for the beam of the Buell headlights. My plan was to use a bolt as my locking mechanism.

I fit a short length of steel tubing to the longer "adjustment tube".....

....and welded it to the adjustment tube.

I threaded a 1/4:20 bolt into a 1/4:20 hex nut and clamped the hex nut to the "bolt locking tube", using my vise.

I welded the hex nut to the locking tube.

I slid the adjustment tube assembly back into the stock fairing bracket to check how it worked. It worked fine!

So, I removed the stock steel from the motorcycle and welded my adjustment tube to it.

(Part Two Below)

#6 · (Edited)
(Part Two)

I am afraid that things get a little murky for me to remember from here on in. What I can tell you is, the Buell headlight bulbs are different then the Suzuki bulbs. Also, the Strom headlight bulbs both illuminate on the "Low" setting, and they both illuminate on the "High" setting. The Buell headlights work with only one bulb illuminating on the "Low" setting, and both bulbs illuminating on the "high" setting.

I had rewiring to do to make this all work!

Here is the Buell headlight harness plug.

There are only two wires "feeding" each bulb on the Buell setup.

Here is the OEM harness plug. The photo also shows three wires feeding the Strom headlights.

So, of course, the first thing I had to do was cut the Buell plug off of its harness, so that I could to begin to identify what wire did what.

I also had to open up the light switch housing on the left handlebar grip.

Using the Buell headlight assembly, laid out on top of a cardboard box, sitting right next my bike, and the stock switch and wiring from the bike, I was able to determine, "what wire did what", when I flipped from "Low Beam" to "High Beam".

With that information, I began cutting and soldering the stock wires into the positions that I needed them to be in to make the Buell headlights work. (Believe me, I haven't a clue as to what I am doing here!!! I can't remember what I did!!!)

It was easy enough to identify which were the ground wires on the Buell lights. I soldered them together.

Here is "Low Beam".

And, here is "High Beam".

However, the above setup is wrong. I didn't discover it until I rode the bike at night. The "Low Beam" light on the Buell assembly is the RIGHT headlight and bulb. "High Beam" is the LEFT headlight and bulb + the right headlight. There IS a difference.

---------------------------------------------------------

Since doing the above work over a year ago, I made some wiring adjustments when I built my front fairing.

Now, that was a lot of fun!!!!!

B.L.

#8 ·
#10 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.