StromTrooper banner

Upgrade to DL1000K8 Front Brakes

26K views 60 replies 28 participants last post by  SV Racing Parts 
#1 · (Edited)
I have just finished upgrading my DL1000K8 brakes. I have tried Galfer Steel Braided lines and EBC HH pads which lead to small improvements but the standard brakes are woeful for feel and power compared to my previous bike a BMW R1200GS (same front tyre size). I have fitted a Murphys Fork brace which also helped
I have used a pair of GSXR 750K3 4 piston Tokico calipers(same brand as standard) and a GSXR1000K2 Nissin Front Master Cylinder (brake switch fits perfectly).
The improvement is dramatic. I now have excellent feel and lots more braking performance for a total cost of $180 buying used parts. (adaptor plates $70)
I have had a local engineering shop make up adaptor plates for these calipers from 8mm thick steel (same thickness as standard mounting plate bolt holes) which is drilled and tapped to accept the standard size bolts. I had to drill out the 4 piston calipers mounting holes so the new bolt could go straight through to the new adaptor plate.
This has been one of the best impovements to my Vstrom.
Regards
Bigjohn:-D

Attachments

See less See more
#36 ·
What he said

Might be fun to have someone check stopping distances before and after the conversion. Wouldn't be surprised to find the difference minimal. Beyond the physics of brakes (friction, not so simple) the 'feel' of the brakes can let a very good, practiced rider get just that little bit closer to locking up the front tire. Would be interesting to have a bike magazine install a special test brake lever that can measure lever pressure, graph pressure vs. deceleration. I'm sure a conversion such as this provides better deceleration with less pressure. I doubt ultimate braking deceleration would be significantly changed, absent a tire change. But I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

#37 · (Edited)
Upgrade to 4 Piston Calipers on the Vstrom DL650 and DL1000

:) Hi, Every user that has upgraded and installed the Brake Caliper Adapter Brackets to run the GSXR 4 Piston Calipers reports that there is significant improvment in their braking ability.

There is an old saying, The best you know is the best you have ridden,

I will be posting up the Brake Caliper Adapter Brackets in the For Sale Section in Market Place today,

Anyone interested in doing the upgrade can email me directly at b.layton@svracingparts.com and I will look after you right away,

They are $100 with $10 Flat Rate Shipping to your door, anywhere in the USA,

Rememember, the 2001 - 2003 GSXR-600, the 2000 - 2004 GSXR-750 and any model year of the SV1000 calipers will work. These are all Tokico,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair

#38 ·
I just read a comparo spec sheet that showed a GSXR 1000 stops about two feet shorter than a DL1000.

I'm not surprised.

The thing is though, who really wants a brake that locks up quicker and easier on a dual sport bike?

I think Suzuki did a fine job in providing a well balanced brake on the VStrom. It is very progressive and slow to lock up on gravel or any other surface, just what I like.

I could understand the desire for better brakes IF the DL1000 had ABS, but it doesn't.

#41 · (Edited)
Thank's a lot for the template, but i'm a bit stomped ...
If i add the distance between 2 front hole (55mm)
and the 2 bottom holes (26mm) i get the total distance between
the upper & lower hole to 81mm.
But the template states 62mm.
What em i missing :confused:
Also it would be of greate help to have some relation between the hole and the edge.
Thank you for the effort.
//Anders

#42 · (Edited)
SV Racing Parts, 4 piston GSXR Brake Caliper Adapter Brackets

Thank's a lot for the template, but i'm a bit stumped ...
Thank you for the effort.
//Anders

:) Hi, if you are looking to make up Brake Caliper Brackets, all you need to do is to Email me and I will help you out, b.layton@svracingparts.com

I have the correctly machined, and professionally finished, Brake Caliper Adapter Brackets in production and ready to bolt onto your Vstrom bikes without modification.

There is no need to drill holes or make any changes to the Tokico 4 piston calipers to bolt them on

The template is a very crude way to do it that was copied from the original design that my partner, in England, did up when we first worked on how to do the brake caliper conversion for the SV.

The new Brake Caliper Adapter brackets, are ready and available to be shipped anytime, $65 including all the requisite hardware.

Let me know whenever you are ready, and I will look after you right away,

Blair

#44 ·
I'll jump on the bandwagon here, I have the brackets from Blair and will ABSOLUTLY vouch for him and the quality of his product.
I'm running the Gixxer calipers, Vesrah SRJL pads, -2 lines and a master cylinder from a 02 CBR 954 (nissan, just like the stocker) along with Motul RBF600 fluid and my brakes are now exactly what I wanted.
Good job Blair and thanks for the quick service.
D

#46 ·
:) Hi, The Calipers that you need to do the upgrade are the 2001 - 2003 GSXR 600, the 2000 - 2003 GSXR 750, or Any Model Year of the SV1000 Calipers,

These are all the Tokico 4 Piston Calipers,

Let me know whenever you are ready, and I will look after you right away,

Blair

#50 ·
I'm waiting until I can pickup some brake fluid before mounting. But I did want to just see if one fits first so will do that tomorrow.

Blair I have adapters from someone else and the pads look real good, I'll just take it one step at a time, very likely will be ordering pads anyway, just no rush.

I at least have a great looking (like new) set of calipers to start with so I'll be moving forward one way or the other with them.

#52 ·
Brackets that may work???

I just read your post and I would love to step up to a better brake as well. I use the GSXR fronts on my SV race bikes. There is a guy that makes adapters for around $60 on ebay and they are bolt on to the SV. I am going to have to measure the mounts on my DL1000 to see if they are the same. Great up grade, I can't wait to do the same... If the size of the SV mounts are the same just go to ebay and search for SV parts. The guy that has them is out of Blaine Washington.

#54 ·
I just read your post and I would love to step up to a better brake as well. I use the GSXR fronts on my SV race bikes. There is a guy that makes adapters for around $60 on ebay and they are bolt on to the SV. I am going to have to measure the mounts on my DL1000 to see if they are the same. Great up grade, I can't wait to do the same... If the size of the SV mounts are the same just go to ebay and search for SV parts. The guy that has them is out of Blaine Washington.

:) Hi, Actually I am posted right above you, I am the person manufacturing the Brake Caliper Adapter Brackets,

All you need to do is email me directly at b.layton@svracingparts.com and I will look after you right away,

The Brake Caliper Adapter Brackets for our bikes, are $65 Shipped to your door, anywhere in the USA.

The ones I do for the Vstrom have so slightly different set up parts that I had machined up just for us, so be sure to Specify Vstrom on an order,

Blair

#55 ·
Hayabusa 6-piston calipers...

Hello, I bought six-piston tokico calipers from Hayabusa, the same with GSXR 750 and TL1000. Are there any adaptors so I can install them on my V-strom 1000?? In case you are familiar with this do I need to buy new disc plates?? If I don't cause any trouble please sent me some links with these specific parts. Thank you....

#56 ·
4 Piston Caliper Upgrade to DL1000 2008 Front Brakes

Hi, The Calipers you mention will not work on our bikes,

Here is the current list of calipers that are right for the 4 Piston Brake Caliper Upgrades,

Email me directly at b.layton@svracingparts.com for the correct Caliper Adapter Brackets and I will get you looked after right away,

There are two choices on 4 Piston Calipers to use with our bikes; First; The Nissin 4 Piston Calipers from the Honda CBR600 F4 - F4i All Model Years 1999 to 2006, the CBR 929 – CBR 954 Model Years 2000 – 2003, or the CBR 600RR Model Years 2003 -2004. The Nissin Calipers have 1mm larger pistons for a braking advantage. These are the calipers I use on my bikes.

Or; The Tokico 4 Piston Calipers from the GSXR 600 2001 - 2003, GSXR 750 2000 - 2003 and All Model Years of the SV1000, these are all the same Tokico Calipers,

You will need to let me know which Calipers you get, and I will ship you the correct Brake Caliper Adapter Brackets for them, $65

Let me know whenever you are ready, I will PayPal invoice you for the parts you want get you looked after right away,

Blair

#58 · (Edited)
Scored some decent 2002 GSXR 750 calipers off of ebay, rebuilt them and installed them using Blairs tasty caliper adapters. I elected to initially use the stock brake lines, and as previously noted in this forum the right hose between the junction block and the banjo is about 2mm too short.

Rather than stretch the hose and mount it under tension I grabbed a piece of brass strip out of the scrap box, poked a couple of holes in it and mounted the junction block about 7/8" back - sufficient to relieve the tension in the hose. I may get around to painting it flat black one of these days....

Went for a test ride (3/11) to bed in the Galfer HH pads that I installed with this upgrade. The braking has certainly improved, and one can feel the beginning of braking action with gentle pressure on the lever. I'm pleased - this upgrade was money and effort well spent.

#59 ·
4 Piston Brake Caliper Upgrade to DL1000 Front Brakes

:thumbup: Great work on getting it all set up and working so well, I love the feel and function of the 4 Piston Calipers on my own bike,

I have a new batch of Nissin 4 Piston Brake Caliper Adapter Brackets in stock now. They have 1mm larger pistons and work great.

You will want to use the Nissin Calipers from the 1999 - 2006 CBR 600 F4 - F4i models, the 2001 - 2003 929R and 954R models or the 2003 - 2004 CBR 600RR model.

I have the correct superb Galfer HH Sintered Front Brake Pads for these Calipers, Galfer lifetime guaranteed SS Line Kits and the SS Banjo Bleeders for these Nissin 4 Piston Calipers as well,

Blair

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.