StromTrooper banner

No centerstand, what to do?

3K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  JRWalker 
#1 ·
In order to install my skidplate, I need to unbolt the sidestand so I can mount a bracket. I don't have a centerstand, so I'm looking for a safe, penny tech solution I can use. Yes, a centerstand is on the short list o'things to buy, but I spent a bunch of money on the HT panniers, and the deal on the engine guards/skidplate couldn't be passed up. Any Strom'ers in the Centennial, CO area want to help out? I have several types of adult, hops based beverages for bribes. Or maybe you just want to meet another Wee owner? Ideas?

Thx!
Chris

#2 ·
I loosened the bolts while the bike was on the sidestand, then had my son hold the bike upright while I removed the bolts, but the bracket on, and replaced the bolts. It only took a coupla minutes.

Loosening can be a challenge - I did it from the other side using a socket, a long extension, and a breaker bar on my wrench handle.

#3 ·
If you have a garage, carport etc, run two motorcycle tie down straps from the handlebars to an overhead attachment point. If alone, you may want to zip tie the front brake to hold it while breaking loose / tightening fasteners.

#4 ·
THIS IS WHAT YOU DO. get a piece of wood, and you bottlejack out of your car. put the small pice of wood in between the jack and the bike. carefully lift the jack untill the bike feels stable enough to work on it. you dont need to lift the rear tire off the ground. just apply enough force from the jack to stabilize the bike in the upward postition. ive used the procedure many times on many bike.

#6 ·
I'd suggest this method (even though I poo-pooed it at the time) over any of the above:

http://www.stromtrooper.com/showthread.php?t=23198

In particular, the method the involves a couple of eye bolts (or anything similar) and tie-down straps - certainly easier than hanging it from the ceiling, and more stable than just jacking it up with a block of wood. You wouldn't want the bike to fall over while working on it, damaging it and/or you in the process.

#9 ·
Would you be able to loosen the bolts while it's on the side stand and then lean the bike against something...side of the house, woodpile, an old couch, etc. I've used the side-of-the-house method before and it worked fairly well.

#14 ·
One method i used on my friends bike. Get a 2X4. Cut a V notch in one end, then measure from the bottom of the handlebar to the ground and cut the wood to fit under the bar on that side. Then do the same for the other side. Once both pieces of wood are in place it sits rock solid.

You could put a small piece across the bottom of them too so they don't move at all, but i didn't bother.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.